Welding on Galvanized Steel

I started to read how to weld on Galvanized steel, and quickly found how dangerous it is. But I was watching some videos on U-Tube where zinc plated nuts are being welded to sheet-metal. Is it safe to weld a few nuts to some sheet-metal or steel stock ? Or should you just not heat up zinc at all ?

Thanks

Reply to
sidwelle

A couple of nuts is not a big deal but be sure you have good ventilation. If possible, do it outside. A fan helps, of course.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why are you using zinc plated nuts? If it's the sheet metal that's galvanized hitting the weld area with a grinder would be a good idea.

Weld outside on a breezy day and stay on the upwind side.

Reply to
rbowman

It really isn't that dangerous. You won't drop dead if you accidentally inhale a little of the fumes. We used to weld couplers to 8" galvanized pipe. That would be about a 24" bead. Use 6011 rod, turn the heat up a bit compared to non galvanized, and stay upwind. Open doors and windows if you have to do it inside.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Wear a respirator, if you can still find one.

Reply to
gfretwell

Just pop the nuts in acid for a minute or so to strip off the zinc.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Doesn't take much to make some people REALLY SICK. Definitely ventilate well and stay upwind

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 23:41:20 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

+1
Reply to
invalid unparseable