Brass security screws?

I am about to fix a small brass plate to the front door. The door is black, with brass door furniture, so it should look OK (after I've cleaned the rest of the brass!)

I'd like to use some brass screws, but wondered about security screws in case some scrote decides to nick it (not sure how likely this is, though).

Can you get brass security screws, or are they too soft to work? Even Torx or Torx+pin would be good; I don't really want the 'one way' ones.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I doubt that you can get brass ones. I'd opt for stainless steel and a home blackening kit if you want them to blend in with the door or even a dab of black paint.

Another Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Maybe just make it difficult by filling the screw slots with clear epoxy?

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

There used to bi a trick before security screws came along where one would file or even cut an angle on the edges of a slotted screw heads slot. Before

|| ||

Modified \| |\

As the above hopefully depicts, the screw can be tightened, but trying to turn the screwdriver anticlockwise allows the driver to rotate rather than turn the screw. A small incline will push the screwdriver out as it rotates.

The screw is in for good though it would have to be "extracted".

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I would have thought an impact driver, depending on the precise use, could be used to turn a difficult screw.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Apologies! Just realised these are "one way ones".

Sorry :-(

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

And everyone fell about laughing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or - tap a short length of thick enough copper wire into the slot using a screwdriver. The wire should be sized to deform and jam in.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Any amusement will be down to your infatuation with Andrea Leadsom.

Reply to
Fredxxx

As I said, I don't really want 'one way' ones. I have fitted some of those to a back gate before now.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Perhaps you could get Philips/Pozi Brass screws, and then countersink the screw head after fitting? Tho' TBH I am not sure if these exist, given the relative softness of brass.

Just a thought...

Jon N

Reply to
jkn

There is a trick that michaelcthulhu uses when making some of his fantasy swords, to get something not brass to look like it.

It basically involves heating the steel, and then brushing it with a brass bristle brush while hot. The brass gets deposited onto the steel, plating it and making it look like brass.

Probably would work on steel security screws.

Reply to
John Rumm

Instead of using wood screws, use machine screws with self locking nuts inside? Then if anyone tries to unscrew from the outside, the nuts will turn with the screws? Long brass screws can be got easily for sockets, etc. 3.5mm locking nuts might take some finding. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is another option. Put epoxy in the pilot hole before the screw. Then it won't unscrew. Heat it up to get it out.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, I was wondering about that. I'll have a look.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'll try that! Thanks.

Reply to
Bob Eager

They aren't really one way as a few taps with a hammer will make the screwdriver grip them.

Reply to
dennis

Although on a front door, someone hitting it with a hammer might draw attention to themselves!

Reply to
John Rumm

I wouldn't trust self locking nuts. Either two nuts as a proper lock nut, or (since you are using brass) just solder nuts on the inside.

Reply to
newshound

It happens that Dave Plowman (News) formulated :

Thread-lock makes locking nuts unnecessary.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield