Brass security screws?

I thought they were flanges, but if you prefer nuts that's up to you.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

all the backboxes that I've used have tapped holes on the lugs. I can't quite see how to fit a nut. Perhaps glue it to the lug?

Reply to
charles

Your link contains no payment details.

When you say 'can pay me' I assume this is a voluntary payment.

Out of interest, do you find this a lucrative exercise?

Reply to
Scott

I certainly prefer nuts to flanges...

The Natural Philosopher

The screws are easy enough to find. It's the nuts which are more difficult.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) brought next idea :

I think I have a few in a box somewhere..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Especially if wearing a peaked hat to make it look "official".

Reply to
alan_m

My experience with brass coated steal screws is that the rust shows through quite quickly.

Reply to
alan_m

What do we use now instead of a clipboard? Using one of those is now out of date so you would probaby stand out. I have an old Psion orginisir somewhere in a drawer, I suppose that would look the part as I Punch the keys randomly. Iphones and Ipads would look too generic.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Love that new name for security screws you did there.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Use stainless screws as a base then...

Reply to
John Rumm

Or a hacksaw/Dremel cut at right angles to the original one.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

i think it maybe time to give workmen in unmarked vans a lot of attention. instead of being at work I have had to sit and watch a crew of electricians on a geo-ring-fence neighbourhood security system go through an entire block of flats with every conceivable tool for opening locks looking for T/Vs without licences and then withdrawing un-noticed. They spent almost an hour on my door locks, Yeah... I sat quietly inside watching the whole thing. I still cannot believe this is where we are at for the want of a bit of light hearted distraction from the everyday. BBC licence goon inspectors masquerading as workmen to catch you out. Unbelievable... K.

Reply to
KK.

If you say that TV licencing's operatives are getting into people's flats without permission like that, I do not believe you.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Indeed, sounds like BS... TV Licensing is run by Capita IIRC, and their operatives or sub contractors will have no statutory right of entry to your home.

Reply to
John Rumm

Especially unauthorised access. If they knock on the door, and say "Can I come in?" and you say "OK, then they can. If you say "No", they can't. They can't gain entry while you're out, especially not by picking locks

1or whatever. They can apply for a warrant and do it that way (accompanied by a policeman), but they are reluctant to do so because of cost. I have been waiting for a visit from them for some time. After innumerable letters, I'm back to "A visit has been scheduled", the same as two years ago. I am very particular to avoid doing anything that requires my having a TV licence, although I have a TV.

I may: Watch stored media (DVDs, etc), material stored on the internet, "catch up" TV, e.g. All 4, ITV hub, My5 (making sure that I do not watch any programme "as it is being broadcast live" (which does not mean "a live event", just Watch as it's broadcast")), of pay-for services such as Netflix.

I may not: Watch anything as it is being broadcast, from anywhere in the world or from anywhere else (!), or use the bbc's "iplayer".

That's fine by me.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

That's interesting ... I was done for not having a TV licence years ago. I had just moved into my first house and picked up a small TV. It was sat in the corner, not plugged in. Long story, but IIRC the law stated that if you had "equipment capable of receiving...", then you needed a license.

Have things changed, or do you know better in some way?

Thanks, J^n

Reply to
jkn

Not having an aerial, so being unable to receive used to be a common defence, when people had TVs as displays for home computers such as the ZX Spectrum, VIC 20, etc. These days a 40" TV would likely be cheaper than a dedicated large monitor - my son has tried his PC on our 43" 4K TV that only cost £230.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I don't think they can be who you say they are as its not legal to break in to peoples property just for that. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Things may have changed (2003? 2004?). From TV Licencing:

## TV licencing wrote: # # "The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to: # # watch or record programmes as they?re being shown on TV, on any channel # watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.) # download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.

# This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, # laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS # # recorder."

Note, it is necessary to be careful with "catch up", which often offer "live" as well as "catch up" programmes. I can't actually remember when I used such things though.

See:

Rather more helpfully:

Chris Bacon