NO more free TV licence from today

Anyone had the letter from TV LIcensing yet ?.
BBC Moneybox says they will send out letters, so any emails, texts or phone calls will be from scammers. Some folks will
fall for a scammer though.
On 01/08/2020 18:03, Andrew wrote:

good...over 75s are loaded
On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 18:03:26 +0100, Andrew

But there are still free licences aren't there, over 75 and on pension credits, 1.5M of them?
Cheers, T i m

Don't pension credits stop when you reach pensionable age? (Assuming you haven't accumulated enough before then.)
On 01/08/2020 23:38, Custos Custodum wrote:

Pension credits do, but Pension Credit is a top-up for those over 60 with no pension or otherwise on a low-income. That's what the poster meant.
On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 07:31:35 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:

pension

(Assuming

What are "pension credits"?

The first eligibilty requirement for pension credit is to be over the state pension age. Which is some what variable dependant on your sex and date of birth as they gradually push it up to 68. With plans to push it even higher.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 02/08/2020 09:55, Dave Liquorice wrote:

If that's the case, it's changed fairly recently then. It was certainly over sixty a few years back because I claimed it for someone who was that age.
On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 11:41:14 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:

the

sex

Presumably a woman. State pension age for men has been 65 for a very long time. They shifted women from 60 to 65 between 2010 and 2018.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 02/08/2020 12:41, Dave Liquorice wrote:

No, it wasn't a woman. Pension Credit could be claimed by anyone over sixty who met certain criteria. I accept that it's different now.

yep
before they equalised the woman's pension age, An equality claim forced them to reduce the male age for claiming "age related" benefits down to the same as the woman's claimant age.
Hence the even more pressing need to equalise woman's pension age upwards
Another case of "be careful what you wish for"
On 02/08/2020 13:34, Farmer Giles wrote:

You don't have to claim NI credits (which is what you mean) if you are male and over aged 60. They are applied by DWP automatically.
Pension credit is something different and has to be claimed by someone who doesn't get the full state pension for other reasons and has less than ?16K savings

Oh no they're not
On 03/08/2020 08:19, tim... wrote:

They were to me. Clearly shown on NI dashboard website and on my BR19 pensions forecasts.

That will have been before they changed the rules about unemployed over 60s being able to sign on just for NI credits without passing the "looking for work" test
those days have long gone
On 04/08/2020 11:46, tim... wrote:

I never signed on. Never have. Once the work as computer contractor dried up, I just no longer paid any tax and NI and every 19th filled in the part of the HMRC website that indicates no payments made.
On 02/08/2020 11:41, Farmer Giles wrote:

You're thinking of the automatic NI credits that males over aged 60 get if they are not paying any NI, for any reason.
These are convenient for someone who was contracted out for many years but not working after 60. The 5 years of NI credits cancel out 5 years of contracting out deductions so you get a slightly better state pension.
On 02/08/2020 18:27, Andrew wrote:

Now I am not. I was referring to Pension Credit as it was a few years back - and could definitely be claimed by someone over sixty.
On 02/08/2020 18:41, Farmer Giles wrote:

But not a bloke !!.
On 02/08/2020 18:54, Andrew wrote:

Yes, definitely. I helped a male relative claim it in 2008 - he was 62 at the time. He was awarded the Pension Credit guaranteed credit. It was a top-up benefit - he had some other income.
On 02/08/2020 18:59, Farmer Giles wrote:

https://www.housingcare.org/downloads/kbase/2106.pdf