TV Licence

You need a license to watch or record, not to own the equipment capable of doing so.

Like it says on the TVLA web site: "It makes no difference how you watch TV - whether it's on your laptop, PC or mobile phone or through a digital box, DVD recorder or TV set - if you use any device to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV, the law requires you to be covered by a TV Licence.

If you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes at the same time as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you only use your TV to watch DVDs or play video games, or if you only watch programmes on your PC after they have been shown on TV - you don't need a TV Licence. If this is the case, please let us know."

It is perfectly acceptable to have a TV that is either not used at all, or only used for watching pre-recorded media or as a monitor etc,

Reply to
John Rumm

That was in previous versions of the legislation IIRC. They have moved away from that definition now.

Reply to
John Rumm

In theory, you can detect the output from the local oscillator in the TV's tuner - and this would disclose what channel the tuner is currently attempting to tune. However it does not demonstrate that the output from the tuner is actually be watched or recorded.

Disconnecting the tuner from an aerial also makes detection of the LO output far harder, since some of this will often leak back up the aerial feed. Making sure that one selects a non tuned channel on the tuner for your "monitor" TV would also negate the process. However neither is actually necessary to comply with the legal requirements (although obviously demolishes any technical approach to "prove" you were watching TV)

Reply to
John Rumm

Presumably, in these digital days it may only show what mux you are tuned to, so even less use!

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Tim W writes

Along with the PRA ...

Who seem to have backed off now that I phoned them back when they put the phone down on me when I got a bit sweary ... and got even more sweary with them

... as I am wont to do

"listen you retard, do you hear any music? NO? Now f*ck off"

"So you don't have a radio then sir"

"Just FUCK OFF"

"Thank you sir"

I haven't had a letter from the TVLA for over a year now, but I'm sure it's too much to hope that they have taken on board that I'm not sitting around watching TV all day at work

Reply to
geoff

Indeed - although there are no TV license free muxes...

(I suspect that the chances of detecting and isolating one LO from a myriad of others and similar radiating sources from any distance would be a non starter these days)

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jason saying something like:

Detect it? With their magic beans?

What a lot of c*ck.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I wouldn't have thought either were particularly useful to a blind person.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You're quite right, a TV licence is needed to 'install' a TV.

If you then give up the licence or let it expire, there is no legal requirement to 'uninstall' the TV. So, if you have held a TV licence in the past, then providing the TV you have was covered by it, you can leave it connected.

Reply to
Terry Fields

Unless they turn up with a warrant, they have no right to inspect anything and you do not have to let them into your home.

Reply to
Terry Fields

By your own quote "apparatus installed or used for the purpose of receiving", just installing it is sufficient. You don't have to actually use it.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Man at B&Q wibbled on Wednesday 13 January 2010 12:09

I thought my quote from TVLA was the end to the argument - they clearly said "watch". Why are we still debating?

Reply to
Tim W

I remember my mother getting a visit from the detector van. "We have reason to believe etc". "Oh", says she, "I haven't got one" (meaning a licence). They apologised and bid her good day. So much for their detection equipment.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Blind doesn't always mean total blackout. I know a registed blind wood turner. He has tunnel vision.

mark

Reply to
mark

I imagine because having a blind person in the household allows the household to get a cheap licence. Everybody in the household gets the benefit of the concession.

I suspect that very few completely blind people live on their own.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

That means it qualifies as a "television receiver" for the purposes of the act. It doesn't necessarily mean you need a licence for it.

Oh yes you do.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

No, that's why it says "installed or used for the purpose of receiving..."

If it's not installed or used for that specific purpose, then it doesn't need a licence.

Reply to
OG

That is the correct answer.

It is all "in theory".

The TVLA would have to give the working details of a detector van to the courts if they ever used such a device to obtain a warrant.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Did you mean PRS? Or did I give a good swear worded volley off to the wrong person on the phone last week?

PRS "Do you use a radio at work?"

Me "Do you want me to ****** *** *** * *** ***"

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No you are wrong.

I have evidence, but I'll just offer as much as you did.

Reply to
Jason