TV Licence

I've been in one and played with the equipment. They do (or did) exist and do work.

These days though, it is more likely to involve a hand-held device, since they already have the addresses of people without licences and just walk up to their front door.

Reply to
Jason

Because if you go back another level to the source, it clearly says "install or watch".

Reply to
Jason

Jason wibbled on Wednesday 13 January 2010 20:11

Being a stronger case, surely the TVLA would them say that on their website as it gives them more victims?

Reply to
Tim W

Never used in court. And they did not exist. You were tricked.

The only hand held device that works properly is a penis.

Ada,

Reply to
ARWadsworth

My evidence ===== The Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 includes Definitions for the purposes of the Communications Act 2003 and the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967

Meaning of "television receiver" 9. - (1) In Part 4 of the Act (licensing of TV reception), "television receiver" means any apparatus installed or used for the purpose of receiving (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television programme service, whether or not it is installed or used for any other purpose. ====== If it is not installed or used "for the purpose of receiving ... television programme service" it doesn't need a licence.

You may have reference to an older Regulation or Act, but this is the current law.

Reply to
OG

Has the mystery of "Do TV detector vans exist/work" been solved yet?

Is anyone aware of evidence from such vans/equipment being used in a prosecution?

dg

Reply to
dg

And look through the curtains

Reply to
geoff

In message , ARWadsworth writes

Wanker ...

ha ha

Reply to
geoff

Prolly a bit like Thames Valley Police's porche

There is one which sort of works, but spends most of its time at photo shoots, schools and other publicity functions

Reply to
geoff

In the early days of 'TV Detection Vans' my uncle worked for the GPO/BT.

At the weekend he would earn overtime by driving the van around likely estates. The idea was to look conspicious with the van clearly identified with large letters. No detection was actually done but it got people scurrying down to the P.Office on the Monday.

mark

Reply to
mark

The curtains it is:-)

One of my customers used to be a TV licence inspector. Seeing a working TV through the window and then knocking on the door was his number one way of catching out the nonpaying users. Calling when Corrie or Eastenders was on was a cert. During an England football match was also a good time to call.

Of course he always started by saying "You do not have to say anything etc" which usually scared the homeowner into admitting everything.

The only technical bit of TV licencing enforcement is the electronic database.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Was the van empty with an aerial on top and big letters on the side saying "TV DETECTOR VAN"?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

), "television

Installed OR used, not installed AND used. Installing and not using it still satisfies what it says.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The opposite of "installed OR used" is "not installed AND not used". Boole showed us this many years ago.

you musn't install it and you musn't use it.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

LOL.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yep, pretty much.

mark

Reply to
mark

Park it outside the chip shop at tea time and outside the WMC at kicking out time and the plebs will soon get the story around all the estate. Easy.

I believe that they park in supermaket car parks these days to get the maximum viewing figures.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No, expanding it gives "installed for the purpose OR use for the purpose".

Installing it NOT for the purpose is legal.

Reply to
Bob Eager

"well yer honor, I installed me 54" plasmaa and surround sound , and satellite dish and Digital aerial just to impress the neighbours, no we never watch it."

Hmm.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But the case we were discussing wasn't that, was it? It was an installed TV used to watch DVDs, or fed from a PC with iPlayer.

No antaenna/dish needed.

Reply to
Bob Eager