OT: How the electric car revolution could backfire

Who did/didn't?

Reply to
bert

In article , tim... writes

Now also being driven by the courts.

Reply to
bert

In article , Harry Bloomfield writes

Openreach. They can put in fibre at the same time.

Reply to
bert

Steve walker.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Won't make any difference - unless you charge them externally? Of course if electricity is cheaper than petrol most will when they can. But I'd guess things will change when most cars are electric.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you get your traffic info from the radio, you'd tend to assume 75% of all hold-ups occur at The Crooked Billet, Black Cat Roundabout or Simister Island ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

A local multi-storey has a handful of spaces with chargers, there's no signage to say they are reserved for electric vehicles, so if the car-park is busy and one of them is available, I park there.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I assumed the same, until seeing bert's comment that hybrids weren't included in the ban, couldn't see anything 'official' either way.

Barring legislation, I would tend to agree ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Which is why its worthless.

Reply to
dennis

Er no. Having a vague recollection of somebody being "fined" for overstaying in an Asda Car park, I "Googled Asda Car park fine"

I gave three other examples as well.

All of which say much the same thing.

michael adams

michael adams

No you haven't.

Well tell him to lay of the onions.

Reply to
dennis

And barring changes to current tax policy wrt company car taxable benefit.

Reply to
bert

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

LOL

Reply to
bert

I do agree that relying on the radio is less than ideal. I'm beetling down the A1 and I'm told there are major problems on the A1(M), junction

12, but I don't know where that is. Next junction? Behind me? Until I have passed a junction and noted the number, I don't know. I don't use the route frequently enough to have memorised junction numbers. The car has a built in sat nav, but I don't drive enough, particularly on non familiar roads, to have become familiar with it.
Reply to
Graeme

There is single carriageway, but, to me, it is still better than going via Jedburgh. Journey starts south of Cambridge by picking up the M11 going north, then A14 to A1(M) which I stay on until hitting the A720 Edinburgh by-pass. Then M8, M9, M90, A90 across the water, M90 to Perth, A9 for a mile or three then B road at Luncarty across to the A93 via Stanley, then A93 over Glenshee, and home.

Reply to
Graeme

well of course you charge them externally

The whole idea of having a small fuel take is that it is for "get me home emergency use only", not to charge the battery

not if people are valuing their time

Reply to
tim...

can't say I have ever heard of the third one

(and haven't heard the first quite so much)

when I was a kid "the Wooden Bridge" always used to be popular

not so much now :-)

tim

Reply to
tim...

So you have an IC engine so small it can't give reasonably normal performance? Or one big enough that it can - but with a tiny range due to a small tank? So you're carrying around all that extra weight just in case?

That would be the worst of both worlds.

A decent hybrid reduces or eliminates emissions in town, but uses the IC engine for long journeys at cruise - with the electric motor assisting hill climbing etc with a heavy load.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

which is fine, provided that its emissions class is calculated using that use profile

but it isn't

tim

Reply to
tim...

Someone down the road from me has two hybrids on the drive. They are never plugged in to charge the battery so I am quite sure they weren't bought to save emissions but just to get the lower company car tax. They probably run on electric for a mile or two and then turn on the petrol to charge the battery.

Reply to
dennis