OT: How the electric car revolution could backfire

In message , Richard writes

Bollocks. I'm too old to change now, and The Angel is a She :-)

Reply to
Graeme

1) They didn't all come with the bird (you had to supply your own) but they were seen fairly often in car (and boat) advertising at the time. ;-) [1] 2) You are probably right about the point of having the bird as a distraction, although it looks less (fewer ) wrong in the flesh (the rear wheel position, not the bird). ;-)

I think the moke version was a side project off the base of the Enfield 8000 saloon car and the story went that they had some tubular chassis left over from the original order (mostly for The Electricity Council) and then came up with the moke version themselves.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. For those interested in the specs ...

ORIGINAL ENFIELD 8000 TECH SPEC

BODYSHELL: Handbuilt aluminium two-seater CHASSIS: Square-section tubular steel space frame SUSPENSION: Coil-over McPherson strut front, four-link rear axle MOTOR: 8hp / 6kw / 150amps BATTERIES: 8 x 12v 55-amp hour lead acid batteries TOP SPEED: 40mph PERFORMANCE: Erm. Well, 0-30mph in 12.5 seconds RANGE: 35-55 miles, depending on climate and quantity of hills WEIGHT: 975kg (a lot for such a midget ? over 300kg is batteries) LENGTH: A mere 2.84m / 112? (a Mini was 3.05m / 120?) WHEELBASE: Just 1.725m / 68? (a Mini was 2.04m / 80.3?) FUEL: 240v mains Economy Seven

(ed. That may be a typo above as I believe there are 8 x 6V batteries, wired in series pairs (4 x 12V x 200Ah) and then switched via contactors to give 12, 24 or 48V to the motor).

[1] Isn't the 'sexual exploitation of women' one of those things like the 'n' word where it seems ok as long as it's 'them' doing it themselves? ;-)
Reply to
T i m

I took your reference to transportation to be to distribution (which has indeed been seen as an issue) so meant you produce the hydrogen where it will be put into vehicles - as I would have hoped was manifest from my reference to it being done at "sites for hybrid buses" in contradistinction to "centralised production".

If that's what you meant by "transport enough of it" then early models - eg the Toyota Mirai - (a) already have a range of c.300m and (b) can be refuelled in a few minutes. I don't any electric vehicle that can match that without a battery swap.

Reply to
Robin

Don't be too cocksure - they have tools and drugs which they can use to effect the transition ;-)

Richard

In message , Richard writes

I'm no Alan Turing :-)

The world has gone mad.

Reply to
Graeme

It depends on how green you are..

CO2 *may* contribute to climate change climate change *may* do bad things

NOx kills people now.

Which do you think should be the priority?

Reply to
dennis

Art is whatever an artist does.

An artist is whoever the artistic establishment says is.

Reply to
Max Demian

How do you know? There are male angels you know.

Reply to
Max Demian

Of course it's for you to say. That's the whole point.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes it is. Any you too. And the bloke on the telly and the bloke down the pub.

We are all equally entitled to decide whether something is art or not. That there may therefore be billyuns of separate opinions on the matter is not the point. Committees and art "experts" don't decide whether something is art or not, for all of us. Each one of us does.

Reply to
Tim Streater

as I'm not on the ground floor

It wouldn't bother me

tinm

Reply to
tim...

Petrol cars with a working cat produce near zero NOx.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The latter. And what is the hydrogen carried in?

I saw a documentary in the US in the 80s, which was talking about adsorbing (IIRC) the hydrogen in a metallic sponge. It appears to be a simple change to a petrol car to burn hydrogen, but they said nothing (back then) about range. They were more focussed on safety, and showed the effect of having a full petrol tank standing by itself vs. a hydrogen tank, and putting a rifle bullet through each. The latter was much safer to be next to, since hydrocarbons burn with a luminous flame, and the radiant heat will get you. None of that with hydrogen.

But the issue will always be energy density.

Reply to
Tim Streater

This isn't led by the Tories, they are following the pack, bowing to the inevitable

The rules would be far stricter if the other lot were in power (especially in coalition with the LDs and Greenies)

tim

Reply to
tim...

No - see other posts.

No, it's what I (and everyone else) says it is.

Well that's the problem with accepting these people at their own valuation.

Reply to
Tim Streater

75%

tim...

In message , Tim Streater writes

OK, then she is art, and I like her.

Reply to
Graeme

She is a she in the same way a steam loco or a ship is a she.

Reply to
Graeme

Really? Wasn't one of the main reasons for getting out of the EU to 'regain control'?

And if a government with a majority isn't 'in control', just who is?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fine with me.

Reply to