OT: How the electric car revolution could backfire

That would be pence? That's about what it costs to DIY it.

Reply to
dennis

[snip]

Thanks for that. OK, that looks better. Perhaps there may be some hope after all.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No?

Ok, so what percentage of the UK population do *you* think drive any distance to go on holiday in the UK?

How many get a taxi to the airport instead ... or go by train?

How many don't have a holiday at all (like we haven't for ~10 years)?

I'm not sure why you are asking me but I think the answer will be an ever increasing 'yes'.

FWIW, every campsite I've been to (so up to 10+ years ago) had the option of power hookup and *my* electric car has an onboard charger with a 13A plug. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Some Leafs and zoes can take 50kW currently. I'm quite sure others can. Its really a question of how much juice do you need to put in and 50kW is what they think is OK now, in the future it could be a lot more. The bigger the battery the faster you can put charge in so you can reach the range topup quicker even though filling the battery takes longer.

Reply to
dennis

My SD1 is a 70s design and has taper adjustable bearings on the front wheels. Which seem to last forever - as well as being simple to change if ever needed. But the slight play you get with this design isn't ideal with discs as it pushes the pads back slightly, increasing pedal travel. Hence the now popular all in one type with zero play. Which are much more expensive and have a shorter life. As well as being a PITA to change.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depending on design, can be a PITA to change.

My brother does most repairs on his BMW, but leaves a wheel bearing change to a garage.

However, 650 quid seems about 3 times more than I'd expect.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why 2025 when the proposed restrictions don't start until 2040?

AISI those with houses will buy electric cars. Those without houses will buy electric cars if there is a charging point nearby. The rest will buy a hybrid. Not really any problems are there?

Reply to
dennis

Frankly, it doesn't matter.

we can synthesise hydrocarbons from CO2 and water. Using nukes.

Theres enough fossil for a while

There's enough uranium and throrium for thousands of years,

Man made Climate change is bullshit.

Stick all those together and I am more worried about fresh water than carbon dioxide.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and the bigger supply you'd need to feed the charger. Most homes only have 60A feeder.

Reply to
charles

Do you think that if their target customers need to charge their cars they won't offer the service? Even the asdas around here have charging points.

Reply to
dennis

Still, pretty close to zero homes are going to be able to supply 217A

Reply to
Andy Burns

I wouldn't want to rely on this - what if someone else parks there?

Reply to
Mark

of course. how can you tax electricity to charge a car if anyone can do it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Could well be.

"So called"? I like The Angel Of The North.

Reply to
Huge

Current hybrids rely on an IC engine. They may well reduce pollution in stop start traffic - but not at a constant speed as on a motorway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Travelling salesmen, service engineers, emergency services, delivery drivers... certainly not everyone, but there are still quite a number.

You need to get that chip off your shoulder Dave...

Reply to
John Rumm

If they really are driving 400 miles each and every day, there's not going to be much time left to do any work?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is the bird on the bonnet supposed to distract the eye from the rear wheel being in the wrong place? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Dave Plowman (News) pretended :

Not really, you can walk / cadge a lift to a garage with a fuel can, return and be on your way. Try that carrying a suitable battery for an EV..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Most homes won't have a 50+kW charger.

Reply to