OT: How the electric car revolution could backfire

in an entry level model?

tim

Reply to
tim...

don't see why

anybody who has a UK holiday to which they drive and then stay in B&B, hotel or holiday park

do you really think that all of these places are routinely going to offer recharge facilities?

tim

Reply to
tim...

well why does someone *need* a 65 inch 4K TV and Netflix subscription?

Reply to
tim...

If they needed to deal with short temporary deviations where they couldn't reach, apparently a pair of jump leads was sometimes used.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

It is perfectly possible. All it takes is someone elses money. I am not advocating it by the way.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why would they buy one if it would be impractical?

Or just look at them.

Reply to
Mark

Not feasible to retro-fit to all older properties.

Reply to
Mark

However that is full cycles.

If we look at in another way, and say 200 miles per charge that is

200,000 miles.

I do around 200 miles per WEEK these days. And so do many retired people

An electric would actually suit me well.

If I could afford to buy it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Trolley wires ideally are strung as straight as possible, to get the best tracking. Where pantographs are used, then the conductor wire is deliberately staggered to minimise the chance of wearing a groove in the carbon contact strip.

I guess that if they changed from trolley poles, the ride on the vehicle was sufficiently lively that grooving didn't become a problem.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I would eg accept "need" if their sole source of income[1] was from reviewing Netflix (and other) programmes - including the technical quality.

[1] add "no recourse to public funds" status if that helps
Reply to
Robin

I got overtaken by a tank on the A1(M). Doing 30 mph up a hill driving a diesel car transporter with two up.

Thet tank was on a transporter doing 45mph.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They sold it as a remedy for head lice. So motorists were assumed to have lots of lousy children. ;->

Reply to
Max Demian

...safely in its native form...

Plenty of it in the sea though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You mean individual, numbered parking places? How are they powered? connected to the appropriate flat's meter, or separately metered?

Reply to
Max Demian

Hardly onerous things to change. It sounds an excuse to get another car?

Reply to
Fredxxx

If that is the only way to get vistors, yes.

How many places routinely offer wifi?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In the post to which I first replied where you said

" The whole thing is part of the greenies' anti-car mindset. They're anti car because personal transport gives freedom and they don't like the proles to have freedom."

You implied that this whole thing is a green conspiracy to drive cars off the road. Whereas as far as you're concerned, the more proles have cars and can enjoy the resulting freedom the better.

Its a matter of basic common sense and statistics. People don't drive anywhere pointlessly as roads aren't constructed leading to pointless destinations. But because they're built to places people already want to go but otherwise couldn't, easily at least, this encourages people to buy cars.

The statistics all support this.

As I said earlier I'm excluding places such as what I called "Heartbeat Country" which refers to places like the Yorkshire Dales. Although supposedly set in the

60's all the outdoor location shots show the roads to be just as empty now as they were then. And the same will apply not only to scenic areas but to places where a car is an absolute necessity for simple things like shopping. But for most people nowadays whether using it for work, commuting or whatever for most people driving is more of a chore than anything else. Mainly due to problems with traffic and parking which result from there being to many cars actually on the road or parked by the kerb.

michael adams

michael adams

Wants turn into needs if that's the only way people have to get them. Like economic migrants turning into asylum seekers.

Reply to
Max Demian

For example, multistorey car park, and you have a credit card issued by the council that entitles you to park and charge.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So every house should have multiple 32A commando sockets and an uprated supply, so they can charge their own cars as well as those of visitors?

A diesel pump (65 litres in say 2 minutes?) is effectively an 82kA socket.

Can't see many electric cars taking a charge that quickly, even if you factor in diesel car efficiency of maybe 35% and call it a 24kA socket.

Reply to
Andy Burns