Chain Saw and Leylandii

Tried to cut through the truncks of a couple of Leylandii today. I had previously had sawed throught the upper supplementary trunks. The Chainsaw wouldn't make much headway - it gave up before getting within a couple of inches of the middle wherever it was tried. Tried 2 saws - never used one before not able to kudge on the blade sharpness.

Is it normal for Leylanii to fight back like this?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

yes, cut wedge sections out

And sharpen the blades.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IME if the wood is hard and sappy then it needs a good sharp chain and plenty of lubrication to make sure it does not bind up...

So check the oiling on the saw it working as expected (if you spin it up / rev it with the nose close to a flat surface you should see a fine spray of bar oil on the surface)

Reply to
John Rumm

Chains need to be sharpened regularly with the correct size and shape file (I don't know what "kudge" means) and the saw will need the oil topping up. There are safe and unsafe ways to use a chainsaw so take care, and use at least some of the appropriate safety gear.

Reply to
nomail

I've taken down a few Leylandii using a medium-sized bow-saw. Took time, but wasn't all that difficult.

Reply to
S Viemeister

What is the diameter of the tree trunk and what steps have you taken to ensure that the tree falls the right way?

Maybe cut a V on the side you want it to fall. Attach a rope higher up then have some one pull the tree as you cut from the other size. If you stop cutting just before you get to the V you should then be able to pull the tree over being sure of the direction of fall.

Reply to
Michael Chare

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Typo "Judge"

Reply to
DerbyBorn

They are 18 inch high stumps. I used a hand saw but now want to go lower and through the main trunk.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Are these now old stumps (where the wood would have dried out a bit)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They are very sticky in the sap department. I hate the things. Not tried a chain saw those things frightened me even when I could see. How big is it Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I was just thinking if it was tall the problem is going to be its trying to fall toward you pressing on the saw. If you cut wedges out onelow and one high on either side then give it a push toward the lower one, it tends to fall that way, I say tends because cutting down trees is not always a precise job and one has had an occasional busted greenhouse when things hav gone the wrong way. I now leave tress to fellers. Not that I have any left. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Speaking of precision tree felling this is the best I've ever seen or am ever likely to see:

James Harris

That was remarkable, but I suppose the 500 other cases they did where the house got smashed don't end up on youtube. :)

Reply to
GB

Knew what that was going to be ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's bound to be well known. Unfortunately, that one has some stupid music which I didn't notice when I posted it as I had the sound turned off. IIRC there is a version where one hears the sound of the tree instead of Bobby Blue and his Kentucky rag - or whatever it was.

Reply to
James Harris

Me too ...

Someone locally has a Cedar of Lebanon in the front garden of a tiny Victorian terraced "cottage". The damn thing is now way bigger than the house.

Reply to
Huge

We had a big fir tree removed in our front garden. The tree fellers (there were three of them, actually!) cut bits off the top and did it in stages. But perhaps the US guys wanted the wood in a big chunk?

Reply to
GB

We had a large oak tree removed from the back garden of our previous house (the insurance company insisted) and they did it both ways. They cut the crown off piece by piece, but felled the main trunk in one go. The house bounced when it hit the ground ...

Provided fire-wood for 3 years, that tree did.

Reply to
Huge

T i m wrote in news:l9jkncpiq96qg6fkl916i58ivav3bea3md@

4ax.com:

No - only took the tops off 2 weeks ago.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:olem4f$cu6$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Probably about a foot to 18inches in diameter near the ground. All the auxiliary branches were removed with a hand saw. I want to cut it as flush as possible to the ground as the neighbour doesn't appreciate the stump. He tried to help - but also gave up.

Reply to
DerbyBorn