electric chain saw oil, buzzing, teeter-totter

I have a 16" electric chain saw, Remington, with iirc a 3.5 HP motor.

The oil chamber leaks, so I thought I would use spray-on oil that's really meant for a motorcycle chain, although it does mention chain saws on the label. Motorcycles don't have oil dispensers, and I'm wondering if the spray oil can reach all the places that the rubber-domed button dispenser does. ??

This question was compounded today when every time the chain came to a stop, it would end with a B't't't't't't vibrating or buzzing sound, and I know that wasn't the chain on the bar. It was further inside.

Eventually the buzzing stopped, but it came back again later. I could fill and use the dispenser, and let the rest of the oil dribble out over the next few weeks, if this would be better. ????

Also, it seems to help to rock the saw like a teeter-totter, to speed up the cutting. Is this my imagination, or is it a standard technique??

BACKGround: I've used it with handsaws and 2x4's too, and it seems to work there also. I might have watched someone do it this way, but I can't remember anymore.

A tree just past my fence had 5 trunk branches starting at about 6 feet high. The tree is dead and 3 of them have fallen off in the last

10 days, when the wind blows. The trunks start at about 7 inches and get smaller. The saw was great cutting 15 foot pieces into 24 to 30 inch pieces and the plastic case seemed never to get hot. Should I have touched the blade? It was dirty. :(
Reply to
mm

: I have a 16" electric chain saw, Remington, with iirc a 3.5 HP motor.

SM: Electric saws are great, if you're guaranteed that you'll only need it near home. Otherwise, gas saws are better.

: : The oil chamber leaks, so I thought I would use spray-on oil that's : really meant for a motorcycle chain, although it does mention chain : saws on the label. Motorcycles don't have oil dispensers, and I'm : wondering if the spray oil can reach all the places that the : rubber-domed button dispenser does. ??

SM: The oiler comes in from the center of the bar. The spray on oil should be OK, if you put more on every five minutes or so. Use your nose, you can sometimes smell a bar overheating.

: : This question was compounded today when every time the chain came to a : stop, it would end with a B't't't't't't vibrating or buzzing sound, : and I know that wasn't the chain on the bar. It was further inside. : : Eventually the buzzing stopped, but it came back again later. I could : fill and use the dispenser, and let the rest of the oil dribble out : over the next few weeks, if this would be better. ????

SM: Might not be related.

: : Also, it seems to help to rock the saw like a teeter-totter, to speed : up the cutting. Is this my imagination, or is it a standard : technique??

SM: I've done that, also. I don't know if it's standard, or just something that seems to work. : : BACKGround: : I've used it with handsaws and 2x4's too, and it seems to work there : also. I might have watched someone do it this way, but I can't : remember anymore. : : A tree just past my fence had 5 trunk branches starting at about 6 : feet high. The tree is dead and 3 of them have fallen off in the last : 10 days, when the wind blows. The trunks start at about 7 inches and : get smaller. The saw was great cutting 15 foot pieces into 24 to 30 : inch pieces and the plastic case seemed never to get hot. Should I : have touched the blade? It was dirty. :(

SM: You do what works. Seems to have worked for you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Also, electric is better when you just use it occasionally.

[snip]
Reply to
Sam E

You're right. But I got this at a yard sale for 2 dollars. It was cheap I guess because it had a loose connection that sparked.

I did borrow a gas saw once, to do something in the middle of the woods.

I certainly didnt' smell anything, and I think I was about 5 minutes or less.

I've used tools and wrenches and oil since I was 13, but a chain saw seems like a whole new higher level of macho. :) I'm rather amazed I have one or use it at all. My mother would never believe I use a chain saw.

If you do it, that's good enough.

Great.

Reply to
mm

Also electric is better when you have to use it one-handed on top of a ladder ;) Committees of Correspondence Web page:- tinyurl.com/y7th2c

Reply to
Nick Hull

I would use it as is and put it away somehow that the drips didn't matter. ' If you need to 'rock' the saw to make it cut, you need to sharpen the chain. A sharp chain should almost pull itself through the wood.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K