OT: EU and Canada

Seems only yesterday we were told by the BREXIT lot that everything in the EU was controlled by non elected Commissioners and civil servants.
Yet it now appears a major treaty - a trade deal between Canada and the EU - can be blocked by a region of Belgium.
Could it be that Belgium actually has MEPs who do the job they are paid for - rather than the self promoting wankers the UK seems to prefer?
--
*Two many clicks spoil the browse *

It would be intersting to know why. Is it becaseu there is some local industry that will be overwhelmed by imports from Canada? Or, is the region just trying to get recognised?
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

charles wrote:

"Wallonia, a french-speaking area in southern Belgium, has voted 46 to 16 against "Ceta" because of fears local workers will be laid off if the agerement leads to cheaper farming and industrial imports."
<http://independent.co.uk/news/ceta-a7363386.html
On 22/10/2016 11:47, Andy Burns wrote:

Exactly the problem with the EU.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

On 22/10/16 11:40, charles wrote:

Farming.
Or, is the

Nope.

http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21709060-tiny-region-belgium-opposes-trade-reasons-are-hard-understand-wallonia
Note that once again EU free trade actually means EU protection for EU businesses.
I think at the end of the day people are realising that the EU is neither loose enough to allow individual nations to do their own thing, nor tight enough to have eliminated nationalism or the need for national legislatures and executives.
In short it's a tussle between localism and centralism.
With britain having delivered a massive blow for localism.
foolish, and by the rulers as useful.
On 11:52 22 Oct 2016, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Turnip, don't change the subject. Why haven't you posted your sources which back your understanding about SSDs?
In another thread, John Rumm asked you a few days ago to remind him of exactly where you got your unusual technical info from.
I can't wait to see what links you post.

I've only heard a brief bit on the radio, but that said it was do do with cheap meat imports from Canada damaging the local agriculture.
Yet is was common to hear in the meja that the EU could damage UK industry etc with impunity - for the EU good or whatever.
Both can't be correct, surely?
--
*No sentence fragments *

Inventing stories yet again. You lost get over it.
--
bert

That was half of it. The government also have (very rightly in my mind) concerns about the commercial courts which are established by the treaty, which gives large nulti-national companies the right to sue a foreign government for interference in their commercial interests (e.g. loss of profits due to plain packaging cigarettes), which is something that not even national (i.e. the local) companies can or will be able to do. Elevating North American companies to have more power over your government than local companies have is just plain wrong.
I rather suspect the Belgium goverernment is the only EU government which actually read and understood the treaty.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 12:58:49 -0000 (UTC) snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

I think I heard somebody from Walloon saying exactly that, except he didn't refer to the whole Belgian Government, only the Walloon one.
--
Davey.

I don't believe that. Plenty have objected to that court stuff you mention.
On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 06:44:14 +1100

But only the Walloons are prepared to do something about it.
--
Davey.

Because their system works very differently. No other member country of the EU has anything like that as far as part of that country have its own separate veto.
On Saturday, 22 October 2016 11:55:20 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Strange that the EU can stop meat imports to the EU but not steal imports.

Stealing imports is what happens in 3rd world counties. I doubt if the EU would want to do that.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

It has just imposed a massive anti dumping duty on chinese steel of 78%
On Monday, 24 October 2016 11:45:30 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

SO is that a tarrif or a tax and what do they mean by anti-dumping.
https://www.ft.com/content/8dfede9c-5a56-11e6-9f70-badea1b336d4
The duties on cold-rolled steel, which is used to make cars and washing machines, range up to 22.1 per cent for Chinese imports and up to 36.1 per cent for Russian imports.
where's the 78% ?
Maybe if they'd done this a little sooner people might have believed the EU were doing something useful for once.

Tariff.

Its imposed because the EU has decided that china is selling the steel at less than the cost of production, its being dumped that way.

I didn’t bother to keep a link the original article. It was posted here.

EU tariff changes don’t get a lot of media coverage. http://www.eutariffs.com/
On Monday, 24 October 2016 12:36:21 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

ts.

are

%
Yes it is so the EU puts a tarriff on it the USA put a tarriff of 500%

or

d here.
So no where then.

and the reason there's a tarriff on ketchup of 10.2% ? Dumping ?

Go and find it for yourself. You've been told where it is.

Nope, the other reason for tariffs, to protect local producers.