Re: EU clusterfuck

A HUMILIATED Eurocrat has branded the European Union (EU) "the laughing stock of the

>whole world", as Brussels desperately attempts to salvage the floundering CETA trade >deal with Canada. > > Canada's Trade Minister Chrystia Freeland said: "It seems evident for me and for Canada > that the European Union is not now capable of having an international accord even with > a country that has values as European as Canada." > > She added: "Canada is disappointed, but I think it is impossible." > > -------- > > Getting an idea why we voted to leave yet? > > I don't hate Europe, Eurepeans, or immigrants. > I didn't vote to leave Europe. > I didn't vote to leave *an* EU. > > I voted to leave *this* EU, because they are simply incompetent. > > And I can't vote them out.

Which is maybe just as well in this case. As you clearly don't understand the points at issue.

In this instance you see, the problem has arisen precisely because, unlike what you and your friends erroneously claim, all decisions in the EU are NOT made by the EU Commission. In this case the deal was rejected by the democratically accountable Wallonia Regional Assembly. Whose decision was binding on the Belgian Government. Democracy in action in other words.

Given that this gives a good example of EU Democratic accountability in action, something of which you claim to be in favour, it's rather surprising that you should be crowing quite so triumphantly about the outcome.

Once article 50, of which you are so in favour has been invoked, the UK will then find itself in a similar position to that which Canada finds itself in now. Except that what will be at issue won't be agricultural produce.

Rather what will be being decided, behind closed doors will be how quickly the French(Paris), German (Frankfurt), and Irish (Dublin) Governments, doubtless intent on carving up the UK financial sector amongst themselves will decide, as they're bound to do, to deny the UK any financial Passporting facility.

So that any financial services, banking, insurance, foreign exchange etc. currently transacted between the rest of the Word and the EU through London, currently among the Worlds largest financial centres, will in future be routed through Paris, Frankfurt, or Dublin

The market dislike uncertainty, as the current level of sterling shows. A situation which won't improve for years to come, if at all.

If the EU is as doomed as you and your friends proclaim, then with the UK inside the EU it would be the Euro that would take the hit and not sterling.

Instead you and your friends seem determined to wreck the UK economy and destroy the livelihoods of people presently employed, unlike yourself as is all too obvious given the amount of time you waste online, in the vain hope of bringing your ill-informed prejudices to fruition.

HTH

Reply to
Moron Watch

This is not an example of EU democratic accountability, since the EU is not a state and Wallonia is not not part of the EU 's non-democratic structures.

No, it just confirms you as a fathead.

HTH.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It would make absolutely no difference whatsoever anyway to you EU haters.

But what it does show is just how difficult it will be for the UK to make trade agreements with other countries such as Canada. Who will not be giving anything away. Despite the lies told by the BREXIT lot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Moron Watch writes

No-one has claimed that.

A rare example and unique to Belgium as a state not as part of the EU.

Article 540 does give the EU the upper hand. That is one reason for not displaying our stance too quickly.

Quite a small part of London's banking activities.

But inside we are likely to be dragged in to the mess, Outside only the IMF can ask us for funding.

Another crystal ball from e-bay.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

We've already agree to CETA

Moan moan moan Hasn't your record got a b-side?

Reply to
bert

you mean the reverve side of remoan remoan remoan.

Although I do know a song about that..

Somebody, somebody put something in my drink,..... I don"t like anything coloured pink......

Reply to
whisky-dave

LOL

Reply to
bert

How does that work?

Canada apparently wants trade deals, and presumably the UK Govt does - and there's only two of them, not 28+

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Or even this!

Chris Hogg

It's no good asking Dave. He's decided it will be difficult for the UK and that's that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And as we have accepted CETA the deal is virtually in place.

Reply to
bert

Canada can produce many foods very cheaply. Similar to things grown in the UK. A free trade agreement without strings would likely kill off much of our agriculture. The same sorts of reasons the EU had the CAP.

I'm not saying an agreement couldn't be reached. Just that it's not going to happen overnight. Perhaps you don't remember ST Nige etc saying countries would be beating a path to our door for trade agreements.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And therefore you think it will be easy? Care to take a bet?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't be silly, CETA is based on the combined trade of the EU vs Canada. Why would the same trade arrangements be in both sides interests if its just the trade between the UK and Canada involved? What chance is there that it will be a balanced agreement by just dropping 27 countries worth of trade and leaving one? Canada would most certainly want to renegotiate even if brexiteers didn't.

Reply to
dennis

The EU-Canada deal seems to be off. But suppose the Walloons hadn't rebelled, and we, the UK, then became subject to it. Would that "likely kill off much of our agriculture"? If so, would you have been OK with that? If not what's the problem? And in that case, given the deal

*hasn't* gone ahead with the EU, why then on 31st March 2019 we call up the Canadians and suggest we sign the deal with them the following day.

Why not?

I don't remember but then I wasn't paying a lot of attention to what he said. Looks like he was right though, eh?

Reply to
Tim Streater

No, because of WW3 and the plague of locusts promised by Remainers.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And we are part of the EU so it would apply to us if passed tomorrow.

Because basically the same conditions apply. Maybe a few tweeks here and there.

Why and to what extent?

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

So CETA if signed off tomorrow would kill off our agriculture?

Reply to
bert

Apparently there was only one area of one country opposed to the agreement. So if that ONE country had been dropped then the agreement would have been signed because that's what Germany (sorry EU) agreed to with Canada.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You would have to look at what is allowed and what isn't. Just because its free trade doesn't mean everything is included.

Reply to
dennis