OT: EU and Canada

Tariffs don?t have an individual country veto and they did the one on china steel quite quickly.

Reply to
Jack Johnson

with the "chancers" of course it will be

but those are the sort of countries that we don't want to deal with

tim

Reply to
tim...

We can't do that without "registering" an official trade deal (whatever that means in reality)

otherwise WTO rules require us/them to treat all countries equally.

If we informally agree, for example, not to impose tariffs on each others automotive products, we/they can't then imposes tariffs on automotive products from ROW. There is a long list of products where the EU would never agree to that (the UK, probably less so)

tim

Reply to
tim...

The fact that, in the absence of a trade deal, WTO rules require them to do so (where they are currently applying tariffs to ROW products)

tim

Reply to
tim...

the "same" deal will necessarily include our membership of the EU customs union

that fact will preclude our ability to make deals with other countries so your scenario is (unfortunately) impossible

For us to be able to make a trade deal with a third country our EU deal must be a "restricted" deal. Probably one based upon quotas.

Trade deals are used to this subterfuge and are structured to avoid it

you are assuming that people who make trade deals are stupid, they are not

tim

Reply to
tim...

No they wouldn't because they knew Cameron was bluffing when he said he would campaign for leave if he didn't get a good enough deal - he told them so in plain English, and he got a deal consisting of SFA.

And no-one but no-one, not even Farage, thought that the referendum was going to be lost with all the major parties supporting Remain

who said that we don't expect there to be other conditions

Really!

It is you living in this dreamland

tim

Reply to
tim...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why?

It's certainly one of the reasons.

Did you understand my post? If the EU refused to give in to Cameron's demands when we were a member, why would they give us what we wanted after we've left? Ie, free trade without the other conditions? As some on here seem to think they will?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pie in the sky. Part of the 'EU needs us more than we need them' fantasy.

I'd rather have had some serious proposals before the referendum. Instead of this make it up as you go along.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. The gutter press winding up the chavs about immigrants living the good life here on benefits certainly worked. As did the bit about sovereignty and democracy. If only they understood what those words actually meant.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've not thought that one through.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite.

It's not my scenario as I know it is impossible. Was replying to TS.

As part of the EU.

But there are ways round it.

Oh, I know that. Just trying to put those who think it is all done over a handshake in the pub right.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Did the EU also refuse to put a tarriff on dumped chinese steel and now they have, but that didn't take 7 years either, any more than it takes 7 years for them to vote themselves a pay rise.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Irony seems to be lost on you. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The EU making a decision by itself is one thing. Negotiations between it and another, an entirely different matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And any processed cocoa products from the poor producers.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

You do have some strange ideas about how trade deals work.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Yes. Go and read up on the trade deal between USA and Canada and all will become clear.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Which is ample demonstration of the nature of those at the top of the EU and why we are best out of it as soon as possible before the whole thing implodes stating with the collapse of the Euro as recently forecast by its very own founder (Wonder why that didn't feature on BBC news)

Reply to
bert

He walked straight into the trap which May is avoiding of not showing his hand before he walked into the room.

Reply to
bert