OT: EU and Canada

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Well you seem to be happy with the deal that has stuffed the whole of the UK

Reply to
bert

Then we wouldn't make the deal, would we Den? That ever occur to you?

Reply to
Tim Streater

The EU has spent 7 years without success trying to reduce complex tariff rules that already exist (in this case between EU and Canada). How long d'ye think it'll take them to *add* tariff rules where none exist. Much easier to leave well alone.

Reply to
Tim Streater

So now you think its hard to make a free trade deal then?

Reply to
dennis

They can just apply the same tariff rules that they already apply to the RotW to the UK, that would be bad enough.

Reply to
dennis

You think? Nice that you have so much confidence in our politicians. But with things going as they are we'll be desperate to get any kind of deal at all by the time we've left the EU.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The evidence of just how long it takes to achieve between any other countries in the world you care to name.

All countries worth trading with will already have deals with others. Which are bound to effect a late commer like the UK trying to muscle in. In exactly the same way as agreements we had with some commonwealth countries had to change when we joined the EEC.

Expressing interest isn't an agreement.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The optimism of some. Is just totally incredible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nope, Britain will be free to trade under the WTO rules, just like all of Canada, the USA, New Zealand, China, Japan, Australia, India etc etc etc all do fine.

Sure, something more would certainly be useful, but clearly not necessary.

Reply to
Plowcunt fucker

I do wonder if some of them have the remotest idea. If the EU were willing to make concessions to the UK as regards border controls and immigration, they'd have done so during the Cameron negotiations before BREXIT. To give the UK free trade access to the EU after we leave and without any other conditions would require a clime down of the magnitude that is just dreaming.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Right. After finally leaving, the EU gives us the same free trade agreement we already have with them. We make a new trade deal with say India. Now any Indian goods imported to the UK will by nature have free access to the rest of the EU. Just stick a 'made in the UK' label somewhere on them.

Am I missing something?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can't believe you have said that.

Do you not understand that it was because Cameron could not get any consensus on immigration that we're in this situation?

Don't you think he tried given his pledges?

Or was he simply a lying Remoaner?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Yep, that that doesn?t happen with any of these.

Plowcunt fucker

Good luck with getting the EU to accept that!

We're going to need some serious proposals rather than suggestions which are going to make us a laughing stock.

Reply to
pamela

It seemed to me immigration was the big emotional issue. On the other hand many of Cameron's backbenchers are Little Englanders and were probably driven more by worries about sovereignty.

Reply to
pamela

Some deals we'll make, others we won't. Should be obvious, even to you Den.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It took them 7 years not to manage a deal with Canada, what makes you think they'll be applying tariffs to us at any sort of rate?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Why? No bilateral deal can affect any other.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Strange that the EU can stop meat imports to the EU but not steal imports.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Stealing imports is what happens in 3rd world counties. I doubt if the EU would want to do that.

Reply to
charles