OT: EU and Canada

est_phone_award/

s, engineers, manufactures, markets and sells machinery, engines, financial products and insurance to customers via a worldwide dealer network.

about getting a cheap thermal imagine camera for a while now.

ra but at £3k they were too expensive, I then found one for £34K now that was nice :)

in water or toilets or whatever but I still think it's over priced for that .

ionality and a two mega pixel camera.

ncludes email and a two mega pixel camera. It has 2.4inch QVGA Touch screen , 240 x 320, 262K colours, WAP, Bluetooth and FM radio and 320MB of storage on board.

Good for you that you find it an equal I don't.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Fair enough. My youngest son sticks to iPhones as well. Is it true that iPhones don't have NFC yet?

Reply to
Bod

_best_phone_award/

ops, engineers, manufactures, markets and sells machinery, engines, financi al products and insurance to customers via a worldwide dealer network.

g about getting a cheap thermal imagine camera for a while now.

mera but at £3k they were too expensive, I then found one for £34 K now that was nice :)

e in water or toilets or whatever but I still think it's over priced for th at.

ctionality and a two mega pixel camera.

includes email and a two mega pixel camera. It has 2.4inch QVGA Touch scre en, 240 x 320, 262K colours, WAP, Bluetooth and FM radio and 320MB of stora ge on board.

They don't have NFC because they don't need it with ApplePay. Why would you need NFC ? I assume your phone doesn't have ApplePay.

Reply to
whisky-dave
8<

I don't either, you can do more stuff with the oppo than the iphone, including putting more storage in, something many iphone user regret not having.

Reply to
dennis

No it hasn't and I assume that all Android phones don't either. With NFC, besides using it as a contactless payment, you can transfer nearly anything by touching another NFC equipped phone. Seeing as Android occupies 87% of the market share, Apple pay is very limited.

Reply to
Bod

Applepay uses NFC. Android pay uses NFC. The only difference is do you want apple to track you or google to track you?

The interesting thing is that android lets you use the NFC for other things which apple doesn't AFAIK.

Reply to
dennis

16_best_phone_award/

elops, engineers, manufactures, markets and sells machinery, engines, finan cial products and insurance to customers via a worldwide dealer network.

ing about getting a cheap thermal imagine camera for a while now.

camera but at £3k they were too expensive, I then found one for £

34K now that was nice :)

one in water or toilets or whatever but I still think it's over priced for that.

unctionality and a two mega pixel camera.

so includes email and a two mega pixel camera. It has 2.4inch QVGA Touch sc reen, 240 x 320, 262K colours, WAP, Bluetooth and FM radio and 320MB of sto rage on board.

I've no reason to want to do that when I can use airdrop which doesn't requ ire me the two devices to be next to each other.

It has 100% of apple pay users that is the point.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You only turn NFC on whenever it's needed. No need for it to be on all of the time, in fact it's discouraged.

Reply to
Bod

whisky-dave

Page says: "This site can?t be reached".

Reply to
Bod

You said earlier on you don't own a smart phone?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you believe them? Maybe they just don't have good software?

Reply to
dennis

That's good for retailers as apple users are likely to buy any old junk as long as it starts with an i.

Reply to
dennis

That's true.

Reply to
Bod

works fine here teh headline being.

Apple says opening up iPhone NFC would ?fundamentally diminish? ?? security as Australian banks resist Apple Pay

Apple has made a formal complaint to the Australian Competition and Consume r Commission in response to resistance from Australian financial institutio ns to adopt Apple Pay. Apple says the country?s three largest banks have formed a monopolistic cartel and are collectively dictating terms of new payment business models, like Apple Pay.

It also rejected the request from banks to let them have access to the NFC radio and create alternate contactless payment systems on top of the iPhone . Apple says doing so would compromise the security of its platform as it m andates very high standards when customers make payments on Apple systems.

Apple has been attempting to negotiate an introduction of Apple Pay into Au stralia for some time, in the same way it debuted on major banks in the Uni ted States and the United Kingdom. The biggest incumbent players are refusi ng to agree to Apple?s terms; they claim a deal to offer Apple Pay would see them forfeit millions of dollars in interchange fees.

The banks have apparently floated the idea that Apple Pay purchases would b e more expensive than normal cards for consumers, something which Apple has shut down in kind. Apple Pay is free to use, as far as the customer is con cerned, in every region it currently exists.

As such, Apple Pay in Australia is currently limited to select American Exp ress and ANZ cards; ANZ made a deal with Apple earlier in the year. Apple h as made this formal complain in order to rebut the request from the other b anks for open NFC access and attempt to turn the tables on the discussion a nd encourage some form of cooperation. The report says Apple has been unabl e to even discuss its proposition with at least one Australian bank.

Apple pointed to the market power in cards and payments of the incumben t banks and said ?given their scale and market share, the applicant s are essential to Apple?s ability to offer Apple Pay on a meaningf ul basis within Australia?.

However, it said one of the banks that has brought the application has refused to even enter into a confidentiality agreement with Apple to allow for preliminary discussions about the terms under which it would participat e in Apple Pay.

The competition commission had been wagering to make a decision on the NFC point later this month. Apple doesn?t want this (unsurprisingly) an d says the commission should extend its review of the matter to a six-month period.

Apple Pay enables iPhone and Apple Watch users to make contactless payments at retail outlets in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, France, Switzerland and Australia. Users simply tap their devices onto normal merchant contactless terminals to pay, instead of using cash or a debit or credit card. Apple Pay is coming to the web later this year, enabling Apple Pay transactions on macOS as well.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Isn't that the idea to let people buy what they want when they want and how they want.

Reply to
whisky-dave

'We want our system to be used as we're American and know best'

'We want our system to be used as we're American and know best'

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Apparently it is the most secure currently. of course what you igonre is world trade is in $ so why shouldn't they thin k they are the best in the world, even the price of marmite went up by 10%.

No they are Apple a similar sentiment but its Apple saying it not the whole of teh USA.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Ultra secure. In Oz, where it can't be used. Not much point in hacking it there.

Glad to see your logic is on form today.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well look at the sort of people that live there. Up until, recently Applepay couldn't be used here either, and a few years a go it couldn't be used anywhere in the world because it didn't exist life s till went on though. My life has gone on since the first smartphone came out ansd I still haven' t got one.

As always.

Reply to
whisky-dave