OT: Bloody Royal Mail

So, you buy a 1st class large letter stamp - this can be used to send a large letter? No. Not any more. Now we have 4 different weight categories within "large letter", and the stamp only covers the 100g version, not the heavier ones up to 750g. How are we supposed to know this? This reminds me of British Rail when the left wing government ran it, with white days and different prices for everything.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'm sure that has always been the case since the introduction of the Large Letter, in the same way that an 'ordinary stamp' only covers items up to 100g.

Otherwise it would be cheaper to place any heavy items in a large envelope to keep it out of the next weight step.

Reply to
Scott

You are right. It's always been like that.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

I thought you could use any stamps you liked provided they covered the cost of sending the item? In other words, just add the purchase price of the stamps together any way you wanted? But unlikely to be the cheapest way.

Has this now changed?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, a large latter 1st class is about a quid. If you're sending something bigger, you can just use two of them, or add other stamps as necessary.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The key is 'cover the cost of sending the item'. AIUI, OP wants to use a stamp valid for up to 100g to send an item weighing 750g.

Reply to
Scott

Yes, but a normal stamp we all know is for "letter", as in "not large". This is a single category with a set single weight limit and size limit. A "large" stamp you would think would be usable for a "large letter", but apparently it's only usable for the smallest of the large letters! I thought "large letter" only had one size and weight.

Not sure what you mean by that. As I understood it we had "letter" which was a small envelope in size, and 100g limit. Then "large letter" which was about A4 sized and 750g limit. Then after that a scale of weights for parcels.

What's annoying me is you can buy a stamp which just says "large letter" on it. They come in packs from a post office or supermarket. Then you look up "large letter" and it says "up to 750g", but that's not true of the stamp you just bought that is called "large letter"! The stamp should say "100g" on it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Which is completely different to what you said an hour ago.

Anyway, it's not just the size that counts. Weight is relevant also:

Scott

No I don't. I'm not trying to fiddle them or cheat in any way. It's just I've been sending for the last few years various items up to 750g and within large letter size, using large letter stamps (because the Royal Mail website said large letter goes to 750g). Because I don't have a local post office, it's easier to put on a stamp and shove it in the post box if it fits. Now I find out that it's possible (if they notice) that the recipient could get charged for my lack of stamps. Nothing on the large letter stamp pack says there's a weight limit. It just says large letter, which Royal Mail website says is 750g.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No, the two statements are unrelated. One is about what a single stamp is for, the other is if you can combine them.

Yes I know, but I thought "letter" and "large letter" were fixed tarriffs, for 100g and 750g. Apparently large letter is actually a range, which makes it insane you can buy a stamp that just says "large letter" on it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Then why is it some parts of the Royal Mail website say ""large letter" covers anything up to 750g". They really ought to be more thorough in their website design. Depending on which part of their site Google finds when I ask for details, I get different answers.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's not insane at all. If the letter is under 100g but does not fit the size limits, it is a 'large letter', which costs more. You obviously don't understand the tariff structure.

Reply to
Scott

353mm Long 250mm Wide 25mm thick 100g Weight'

Se also:

Are you seriously suggesting that the 250g and 500g steps have no meaning and where it says £2.60 it really means £1.01?

It also says a parcel goes up to 20kg. Do you think that means you can pay the 1kg price and send a 20kg parcel?

Reply to
Scott

I understand that part - large letter is for larger sizes. But I've never heard of "large letter" being more than one band. Especially since you can buy a stamp which simply says "large letter". Somehow we have to know that it means only the lightest of the large letters.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

750g limit does not mean flat rate pricing. See:

It should be like insurance products. You should be given a factsheet and told to sign that you understand and accept the terms.

Reply to
Scott

On 15:21 10 Jan 2019, "Commander Kinsey" snipped-for-privacy@military.org.jp>

wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@desktop-ga2mpl8.lan:

Those stamps with just "large letter" on them are useful for when postal rates go up because the stamp can still be used and will cover the increased cost.

Your seem to have interpreted "large letter" differently to the way the Post Office does.

Reply to
Pamela

Ah, on the back. I've never looked on the back. I look at the front, see it says large letter, then open it and find large letter stamps, with no price or weight written on them. Why would I know that large letter is more than one band? Oh well, looks like I've been ripping them off accidentally.

Depends which part of the site you look at, some parts don't mention any bands.

No, I thought they had a price for "letter", "large letter", then several prices for various parcels sizes and weights. You can't buy a "small parcel" stamp. A "larger letter" stamp I assumed was for any large letter, not just a specific one not mentioned on the stamp.

No, because you can't buy a stamp which says "parcel".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

God no, we don't want more bloody terms and conditions to read and sign. All they need to do is make it clear ON THE ACTUAL STAMP what it's for. For example, the stamp could just have on it "large letter 100g".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That probably refers to using the letter box mail system as opposed to the parcel system.

It has for the last few years been weight and size driven.

it can be annoying though as I send an item that is less than .5 grams but is 1mm too thick and less than 1 cm in diameter and I have to use

2nd class large!
Reply to
ss