OT: Bloody Royal Mail

So, you buy a 1st class large letter stamp - this can be used to send a large letter? No. Not any more. Now we have 4 different weight categories within "large letter", and the stamp only covers the 100g version, not the heavier ones up to 750g. How are we supposed to know this? This reminds me of British Rail when the left wing government ran it, with white days and different prices for everything.
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 14:16:11 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
I'm sure that has always been the case since the introduction of the Large Letter, in the same way that an 'ordinary stamp' only covers items up to 100g.
Otherwise it would be cheaper to place any heavy items in a large envelope to keep it out of the next weight step.
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 14:44:31 +0000, Scott

You are right. It's always been like that.

Then why is it some parts of the Royal Mail website say ""large letter" covers anything up to 750g". They really ought to be more thorough in their website design. Depending on which part of their site Google finds when I ask for details, I get different answers.
Yes the problem is that to try to find a really easy way to communicate with the public. I do also find that nowadays, technology has meant the Royal mail can reject mail with the wrong postage on it as well. There should be a smart phone app that you integrate with your internet connected kitchen scales so you can take a picture of the letter and weigh it before you go out!
grin. Brian
--
----- --
On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 09:14:11 -0000, "Brian Gaff"

Even better, pay, download and print a barcode at home.
Agreed - sometimes people just make things too damn complicated. What was wrong with the simple system we had before? You either had a letter with a stamp on it, or it was a parcel and you paid by weight.

I thought you could use any stamps you liked provided they covered the cost of sending the item? In other words, just add the purchase price of the stamps together any way you wanted? But unlikely to be the cheapest way.
Has this now changed?
--
*Welcome to Shit Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

No, a large latter 1st class is about a quid. If you're sending something bigger, you can just use two of them, or add other stamps as necessary.
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 15:11:36 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"

Which is completely different to what you said an hour ago.
Anyway, it's not just the size that counts. Weight is relevant also: https://www.royalmail.com/price-finder/

No, the two statements are unrelated. One is about what a single stamp is for, the other is if you can combine them.

Yes I know, but I thought "letter" and "large letter" were fixed tarriffs, for 100g and 750g. Apparently large letter is actually a range, which makes it insane you can buy a stamp that just says "large letter" on it.
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 15:21:57 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"

It's not insane at all. If the letter is under 100g but does not fit the size limits, it is a 'large letter', which costs more. You obviously don't understand the tariff structure.

I understand that part - large letter is for larger sizes. But I've never heard of "large letter" being more than one band. Especially since you can buy a stamp which simply says "large letter". Somehow we have to know that it means only the lightest of the large letters.
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 15:43:51 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"

Just pay the money, you cheap Sweaty.
<snip> >It's not insane at all. If the letter is under 100g but does not fit

Yes - you are right - but the rules are aimed at people who have common sense; fuckwits cannot comprehend.
wrote in wrote:

Those stamps with just "large letter" on them are useful for when postal rates go up because the stamp can still be used and will cover the increased cost.
Your seem to have interpreted "large letter" differently to the way the Post Office does.

My local postal delivery office refuses to deliver letters with two stamps on them. It's something to do with the 3-D effect making you dizzy when seeing two identical stamps on an envelope.
Last year they had six deaths from dizzy postmen who walked into the traffic.
If someone around here has a physics degree, preferably from Edinburgh, they could probably explain it.

What does "using two of them" mean? Is this usage documented anywhere?
--
Britain sitting behind the protectionist wall of the Customs Union is doing
absolutely nothing for the oppressed coffee bean growers of the developing

thing

y.

It means putting two stamps on one package. And since it's regularly done without complaint, I assume it's perfectly fine. It was easier when stamps had things on them like "50p". You could simply add them up to the required tarriff - I used to see packages delivered to me with several stamps on them! But I think it's also fine to use two "large letter" stamps to make about 2.

No. Someone I knew did it and he was subjected to a dawn raid when he got caught. The feds trashed his living room just to be spiteful.

When you buy stamps marked First or Second class, they always retain the current value of a First or Second class stamp. Just don't use two of them.