In praise of Royal Mail

We were out for the day on Saturday, delivering son to uni [1] and arrived home just after half past five. Half an hour later there is a knock at the back door and there stands our postie in 'civvies', with a large box under his arm. He had been unable to deliver it during the day (too large for the usual method of poking stuff through the cat flap), so was dropping it off while walking his dog, in case it was something we needed urgently. Top man, top service.

[1] See PAT and uni thread. Long story short, small print says only items over one year old, and even those can be tested within the uni, so no worries. A fee for testing is not mentioned, so we'll worry about that when or if it happens.
Reply to
Graeme

Yes very good, but there are stories of postmen being told that to take mail home even for a short time could get them the sack. This comes from a bloke who worked for Royal Mail in Feltham. Big brother is watching you.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message <qjvvam$mp1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net>, Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

Brian, you are correct, although these days rural posties take their vans home, so I suspect the parcel stayed in the van. Having said that, the posties are not allowed to keep mail in the van after a shift, but the chances of anyone checking out in the sticks is remote.

Worth mentioning too that it was a medium parcel, posted first class Friday, and arrived Saturday morning.

Reply to
Graeme

What this says to me is there is a 'good' reason to fit a cat-flap (especially one that only opens inwards) and that dog owners are good people [1]. ;-)

As a cat owner I can see why you might be surprised by such selfless actions. ;-)

I've not read that thread but whenever we have taken anything main powered into say a hospital (excluding crafty phone chargers etc), anything new-in-box with receipt is generally accepted as-is whereas anything else (that you probably couldn't show a proof of purchase (date) for even if requested was refused (hospital) or was PAT tested for free (hospice).

In the hospice we were allowed to install and use a (brand new) DVD player (we weren't sure how long she would be able to enjoy a film, even in bursts) so needed it in and working before the PAT man came round next.

When he did come round he was presented with a bed coved in phone chargers, hair dryers and computer kit and happily tested (and passed [2]) all of it.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Joking aside, it's often dog walkers who (first) notice / report basic anti-social activities (damaged cars, fly tipping etc) or discover the results of serious crimes (inc bodies dumped in the woods) and even provide a 'presence' on our streets, sometimes disturbing crims etc. [2] Nothing of ours would have had a frayed cord, incorrect fuse or be damaged (or I would have already dealt with it etc). Good to have them fully tested though. ;-)
Reply to
T i m

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> writes

I have to agree with that, given that we too are dog owners, and that both the postie and the dog (cocker) use the cat flap :-)

The cat flap is many years old, installed for a cat who passed years ago. Bit of a tight fit for the dog, and if exiting in a hurry, she tends to take the flap with her :-)

<snort>
Reply to
Graeme

Our postie is also excellent. "Your hands are full, I'll sign the screen" and many other helpful gestures over the years. Country is the way to be.

Reply to
misterroy
<snip>

We used to have 'a postie' or had one main / regular one and a fill-in for sickness / holidays etc.

Now days we seem to get a different one each day but I'd have to say most of them are pretty friendly / helpful.

Till you need to get the bus into town in the winter to go to the sorting office. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m