Royal Mail delivery scam

I'm expecting a couple of parcels from Amazon. Had an email this morning saying RM couldn't deliver, no safe place to leave it etc. please reschedule the delivery time. The email return address looked suspicious, but I explored the re-delivery option anyway and saw they were asking for money.

I immediately assumed it was a scam. Am I right?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

£2.99 ? ...
Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

I never got that far...

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Thanks for the email....well if it is £2.99 like all the others it is a scam .....

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

It is a scam. Followed the link and filled in their form which doesn't even have data validation, thereby permitting input of abusive terms which may or may not be read by some s*****ad. Last Indian subcontinent microsoft support caller, a few days ago, was the recipient of unsolicited verbal abuse.

Reply to
Richard

My yesterday's parcel didn't arrive, but tracing today said there had been an unavoidable delay and it would be delivered later today.

No money ever to be asked asked for...

Reply to
jon

Amazon don't use RM

Reply to
charles

That's usually the code for we have lost your parcel!

Royal mail have published an apology saying that in my area mail is subject to an ongoing delays. What this seems to mean is that 'paper' gets delivered as near normal but small packages arrive all together in batches on the same day irrespective if they were posted a week ago or two days ago. We even had a RM Sunday delivery last week.

Reply to
alan_m

as we did two weekends ago.

Reply to
charles

I sometimes worry about that approach. What is the risk of retaliation? You could receive multiple phone calls through the night if someone took exception to your attitude. Having said that, I have not actually heard of this happening.

Reply to
Scott

Thanks for the comments. I've since Googled for RM delivery scams (which I should have done in the first place) and there are plenty of them.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

They do in my area. If items are stocked in the Dunfermline warehouse, I generally get next-day delivery via Royal Mail.

Reply to
S Viemeister

my Amazon order came RM

here's the tracking details:

Delivery By Royal Mail Tracking ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXFC874 Tuesday, 2 February

5:55 PM Delivered XXXXXXXXX DO, GBR Friday, 29 January Package has shipped Times are shown in the local time zone.
Reply to
tim...

I would be interested to know if the timing meant scammers got wind of your genuine Amazon deliveries.

Reply to
Pamela

If they want to come back for more of the same, they're welcome.

Reply to
Richard

Someone reported something similar on our local FB group this morning, mentioning that the URL ended in .so (Somalia?). Not sure whether it was a "reschedule" one or "money owing before delivery".

What slightly worries me about these is that where import duty and/or VAT are due this is collected by the deliverer. So with Brexit we might expect to see legitimate requests that look a bit like these.

Reply to
newshound

But what if it was on the hour, every hour during the night?

Reply to
Scott

Are there really people who don?t use call blockers? Couldn?t live without ours.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Who on earth would use their real number ?

Best things to do is to give them the number of the last person who tried to scam you. A match made in hell.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Our approach is to live without a landline ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk