OT: Bloody Royal Mail

Just pay the money, you cheap Sweaty.

Reply to
Shitsack Moishe Goldbergsky (n

What does "using two of them" mean? Is this usage documented anywhere?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Parcels have been weight and size driven for a decade. But I thought "letter" and "large letter" were specific in size and weight.

So when I put a "large letter" stamp on a jiffy bag and pop it in a post box, I can only actually put 100g in it. Which is quite unlikely. Something larger than "letter" will probably have some weight to it. It doesn't take much to exceed 100g, for example some large photos with some card to stop them being bent. And who has a weighscale at home that's that sensitive?

It was way easier when they just went by weight. Even the guys that work at the post offices tell me it's annoying, having to get out a tape measure aswell as their scales. It's costing them time.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

There is a thickness limit too, though: 5mm for letter and 25mm or so for large letter. It has to fit through their plastic size template jobby with the slots in it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I would if I knew how much I was supposed to pay! Apparently I'm to magically know that "large letter" is more than one thing. And also I'm to have some fancy subatomic scales in my home that can measure down to fractions of a kg. Even my kitchen scales only have 25g markers, and I wouldn't trust them to measure anything that light very accurately - I get a different result simply by lifting the object off them and placing it back on.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It means putting two stamps on one package. And since it's regularly done without complaint, I assume it's perfectly fine. It was easier when stamps had things on them like "50p". You could simply add them up to the required tarriff - I used to see packages delivered to me with several stamps on them! But I think it's also fine to use two "large letter" stamps to make about £2.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes I knew about that, hence the naming "LARGE letter". But I never realised that "large letter" encompassed 4 different weight levels, and that the stamp you buy claiming to be for "large letter"s is only supposed to be used for one of those weight levels.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They don't. There is a size gauge (same principle as used at airports for cabin baggage) and they just check if it fits.

Reply to
Scott

No. Someone I knew did it and he was subjected to a dawn raid when he got caught. The feds trashed his living room just to be spiteful.

When you buy stamps marked First or Second class, they always retain the current value of a First or Second class stamp. Just don't use two of them.

Reply to
Incubus

I understood too that they can be used as part payment.

Reply to
Scott

Good troll Hucker. Go get a life and a job. Wanker.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

"Legal" is an odd word to use. You wouldn't be breaking the law, just annoying the Royal Mail, perhaps enough that they charge the recipient for the cost of postage.

Easy enough to look up the value of a "large letter" stamp on the internet. Which means you can send a parcel which will fit through a post box hole when your post office is closed or too far away to access.

It also stops the annoying person in the post office asking you what's in the package. Almost everything is now forbidden from posting. I had something "destroyed" by the Royal Mail because it had some liquid in it, I don't think it was even an aerosol. They sent me a rude letter saying they "would take no further action in this instance", with no apology for the money it had cost me to replace the stolen item. You also can't officially send anything containing a battery, which would include pretty much any electronic gadget such as a mobile phone. I'm not sure how companies manage to mail me batteries when I buy them online. They must either break the rules and lose a bit of money when stuff is stolen by the Royal Mail, or pay some extra hidden charge which us mere mortals don't get told we can do.

I can't find an official page saying it's ok to use multiple stamps, but everyone seems to think it's ok, and the Royal Mail has never told anyone off for it. However I did find this amusing story of someone who made his own stamps!

Commander Kinsey

Not for parcels.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The feds aren't concerned with an entirely different country. At least make your stories believable.

But you can use two. Or even 7.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It probably pisses them off having to count them all up :-) Kinda like paying your parking fine in pennies.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No, a valid question, was it too difficult for you to answer?

By the way, I do remember that you once told me you only go on newsgroups for an argument....

Got those thanks.

Your obsession with the wanger is noted.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Will it? Would that not be within working knowledge of those in that area?

Reply to
Scott

royalmail.com gives you all the answers you need, Pedro. And you need something better than bathroom scales for weighing letters.

Reply to
Shitsack Moishe Goldbergsky (né O'Reilly

On 16:52 10 Jan 2019, "Commander Kinsey" snipped-for-privacy@military.org.jp>

wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@desktop-ga2mpl8.lan:

Isn't this discussion about letters?

Reply to
Pamela

But different answers depending on which part of their website.

Why are you confusing kitchen with bathroom?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey