Schuko socket (further difficulty)

The electrician fitted the Schuko socket but put the live to the left. Not that it matters, but I decided it would be a good idea to modify it. However, the terminal screw broke as I was tightening it (I don't think I'll be buying MK again). By chance, I have a replacement screw. Is there a recognised way of getting the broken screw out?

Reply to
Scott

You'll probably just have to drill it out unless it is a very loose fit in which case it may 'tease out' with a pair of tweezers or similar implement.

Reply to
Tufnell Park

How do you drill without dethreading the hole? I can see this going badly.

Reply to
Scott

Scott expressed precisely :

Try to drill or tease out the copper wire, that should leave the screw loose enough to remove. A small drill bit will follow the softer copper, in preference to the harder brass of the terminal.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

use a small enough drill to fit between the threads and the recalcitrant screw can usually be got out. If it snapped when you tried to unscrew it, it would seem thatb it was overtighted by the original installer. The don't sell insulated torque screwdrivers for no reason.

Reply to
charles

Regrettably it was on the way in, so my fault. I thought it was protruding more than the others so I tried to tighten it a bit more. That said, it is solidly in now so perhaps I would just leave it be.

Reply to
Scott

Very small anticlockwise drill bit is probably your best bet...

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks. There may be an argument for leaving well alone given it is solid but it offends my sense of neatness.

Has MK quality declined? This assembly seems very flimsy. The last plug I fitted was fiddly with a heavy cable. Even the last socket seemed a bit flimsy.

This particular device is a niche item and came from Malaysia. Is the Malaysian quality as good or am I getting more of a 'budget' product?

Reply to
Scott

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Angle grinder :)

Reply to
FMurtz

Dental burr in dremmel or die grinder can be controlled to drill screw or at least make centre for drill then make easy out by grinding a square taper to a point on hard steel. Anything is possible with DIY

Reply to
FMurtz

You drill with an smaller drill to remove the central plug of the screw then ideally use an extractor tool which is reverse threaded so as you screw into it, it tightens and undoes the screw (or bolt).

Thats the theory any way ...

Reply to
Andrew

Someone had to say it!