Schuko socket

I am trying to buy an MK twin Schuko socket (K4152WHI) but it does not seem to be in stock anywhere. I wonder if it has been discontinued. I have contacted MK and await a reply. Does anyone know?

I am struggling to find any Schuko sockets for sale. Plainly, they must be available as they are used in large parts of Europe. Is it perhaps the case that the UK back box differs from the 'continental' one (a more modular design), making the sockets incompatible? If so, can the continental version be fitted here to overcome the difficulty.

Reply to
Scott

Fit two of the single schuko sockets in a dual backbox?

Andy Burns

Thanks. That's probably the solution. I wonder why the twin socket has been discontinued, if indeed it has. I see the one in your link is made in 'MY' (Malaysia). I wonder why this is.

Reply to
Scott

Not MK but are the twin/tripple items on this page what yoou are looking for?

or

different finishes

alan_m

Thanks. I saw them. The problem seems to be they are not for use with UK back boxes.

Reply to
Scott

Ah, "Not for use with UK back boxes."

Reply to
alan_m

On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 11:32:04 +0000, alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk>

wrote: [snip]

Thanks to both of you for your assistance. I have now heard from MK that the socket is not discontinued, just special order.

Reply to
Scott

Interesting that their website says "Reason for sale will be requested" I thought it was permitted to fit any EU compliant electrical fittings in any EU country?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I wondered about that too. I have seen a contrary view that the whole property can be wired either to UK or other EU compliant regulations but no 'mix and match'.

A third view is that the Schuko socket cannot be directly connected to a 32 amp fuse and should therefore be installed using a fused connection unit, preferably with a 3 amp fuse if this would be suitable for the appliances.

Reply to
Scott

The euro back-boxes on the TLC site for these sockets are 45mm deep but other manufactures have 40 and 60mm deep euro back-boxes.

The deep UK 47mm back-boxes may have enough clearance for socket plus wiring. The fixing centers for a euro socket is 60mm which is the same as the fixing centers for a UK single back box.

The problem with dual Euro sockets could be that that 4 securing screws are used and on 60mm centers as shown :

alan_m

That's because there is no fuse in the matching plug to offer fault protection to the appliance flex. So it is assumed that adequate protection will be given by the circuit breaker for the whole circuit. This is not always going to be a safe assumption for an appliance with a thin/long flex and a circuit with a B32 MCB.

3A seems a bit of an overly restrictive choice. 13A would be fine. As would be wiring the sockets to a radial protected by a 16A MCB. (as they typically would be in other countries)
Reply to
John Rumm

I think so too. However, the intended use is for tootbrush, shavers, phone charging which are minimal current and if we fit a 3 amp fuse we will effectively be emulating the position we would be in if using a UK plug. Or so my electrical engineer (retired) says. Any problems I can change the fuse!!!

Reply to
Scott

Presumably you have devices fitted with moulded Schuko mains leads that you wish to use both here and in Europe, so don't want to cut the connector off and replace with a 13A plug.

How about a couple of these - available from a large number of vendors. Good quality - better than many 13A to Schuko adaptors - and allow you to use your devices anywhere you have

13A sockets (and fused as well, of course).

or

Terry Casey

Yes, that's my understanding of the rules in the EU too.

However it might be required to have all wiring in one installation to the same standards I suppose. Putting unfused Schuko plugs and sockets onto a UK installation expecting fused plugs and sockets might contravene something.

Reply to
Chris Green

Horrible thing.

or

invalid

Thanks. I have them elsewhere but for the utility room I want to retain the convenience of a Schuko socket. I have now found one from a local wholesaler

Reply to
Scott

Cos fed up with working for talk Talk as call centre staff, they are now starting up as cheap to employ makers of plugs and sockets as a sideline. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

harry

But nether of those are for Schuko plugs, despite the description. They are for the 2-pin Euroconnector that fits both Schoko and French/Begian sockets.

The Schuko plug also contains an earth connector (side contact type) and the moulded type found these days is a modified Schuko that also includes an earth socket that accepts the earth pin of a French/Belgian socket.

Reply to
Terry Casey

This is indeed the item I was looking for, but MK do not sell to the public. I was unable to find any for sale online.

The sequel is that I contacted MK, who gave me a list of local stockists. One of them had two units in Rotherham, and can transfer one.

Incidentally, the MK pack size is five so I would not have been able to buy cost-effectively from them anyway.

Reply to
Scott