Battery pack jump starters

I've got a DB Power DJS30 and although I've thankfully never had to use it yet, Sod's Law dictates that it'll be a wet and windy night if or when I do need it.

I have a Lexus RX450h hybrid car and the 12V battery is under the floor panel in the boot. Given that my wife's mobility scooter lives in the boot as well, it'll be a major undertaking on a cold, wet night to empty the boot and get to the battery if I ever need to, so I intend to use a pair of eyelet connectors permanently connected to the battery and run the cables to a more easily accesible point so that I can easily plug in the battery pack when needed.

Link to photos:

My questions are:

  1. Am I right in thinking that the connector is known as an Anderson Powerpole connector? (sorry for the blurred photo)

  1. Does anyone know what the red box arrowed in the second photo does and/or what it contains? Do I need one or will it be alright to just run a positive and negative wire from the battery to a female Powerpole connector (if that's what it is) without that red box?

Reply to
Pete Zahut

It's a diode pack to prevent the alternator (possibly) overcharging the battery pack when the engine starts.

Described by Big Clive in

Mike Clarke

Brilliant, thanks Mike.

Reply to