Washing machine (further domestic woes)

My washing machine is too heavy for me to move (alternatively, I am a nine stone weakling). It is not level. The problem seems to be at the back. Are the rear feet adjustable or just the ones at the front?

The problem is it that the contractors between the lot of them - and blaming each other - omitted to level the floor. Rather than spend time arguing on the phone, I would prefer to get an idea of what is needed so I can just get a mate to help me fix the problem for a curry.

(Yes, this is the same utility room with the Schuko socket and questionable method of installation, now resolved.)

Reply to
Scott

IME generally just the front ones are adjustable,

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks. This is the bad news I expected!

Reply to
Scott

They sometimes have rollers at the back to make fitting and removal easier. If it is really unlevel at the back, remember that a bit of sideways tilt does not matter (unless it is enough for the machine not to fit into the gap). So you should be able to make it secure by adjusting at the front.

Reply to
newshound

I had a problem with a washing machine which was uneven because holes had been worn in the lino and even the floorboards under the work surface where the WM feet were. I cut a couple of pieces of 2mm thick

20 x 20 mm right-angle aluminium slightly longer than the gap between the front and back feet. Somehow, and I can't remember how, I pulled the back of the machine up a few mm, and my wife slid the aluminium under the back foot on each side. I then let the WM down, and lifted the front, and pivoted the angle so that it now also fitted under the front feet. The feet could then be adjusted to keep the machine level, and the aluminium was strong enough to keep it level.

This may not be of any use, depending on whether of not you are able to lift the washing machine those few mm, and if there is room at the side to slide in the aluminium.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Bosch and Siemens machines tend to have adjustable feet on all four corners. If I am aware of a slope in the floor I usually put a spirit level across approx. where the rear feet will be and measure the difference then simply adjust the rear feet to reflect that difference. Then push the machine into position and adjust tha front feet never had a rocking machine and everything sitting plumb.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Some even have skids or little wheels on the back to help the thing be extracted from difficult areas. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Mine is an LG. I'm not convinced it has adjustable rear feet and not strong enough to pull it out (without risking the floor covering).

Reply to
Scott

I have now looked at the instructions (as I should have done in the first place) and it seems all four feet are adjustable. Adjusting the rear feet without access while the machine is in place could prove problematic, so levelling the floor may still be the only option.

For some reason the instructions say I must not use pieces of wood or cardboard but I assume this means loose wood?

Reply to
Scott

It may have rear feet adjustable from the front.

Check for your exact model -- I found this for a LG dishwasher:

You may have something similar....

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Thanks. Will check, but mine is a washing machine.

Reply to
Scott

neat.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yup, saw that -- but lacking the exact model, I sent the first link with LGs adjustable feet:-)

AFAIK these rear-feet-raised-from-the-front are not uncommon in machines that get pushed under a countertop, so you may get lucky.

Thomas Prifer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

F12B8QDA

Reply to
Scott

There can be a lot of vibration forces when it's spinning, and I guess they're worried about it falling off. I had a washing machine in a kitchen with a significantly dished floor, and without a piece of timber under the front, some water would run out the front of the detergent tray when it was filling.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks. I think it's a case for returning to Plan A. Remove washing machine. Tile gap in the floor as level as possible with existing tiles (on the right).

Reply to
Scott

Four screws with locknuts... meh.

Maybe you can slide it in and out using strips of slick plastic shoved under the feet -- ISTR some here recommending such a slick plastic strip material made just for moving furniture, machines etc.

Anyone recall that stuff?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Sorry, what does that mean? Are they the same at the front and back then?

Reply to
Scott

AFAIKT, the feet are just four rubber-headed bolts. Screw to correct height, and the there's a nut each that tightnes up against the body of the machine to keep the foot from loosening.

Maybe you can get by with adjusting the two front feet only? The machine can be set up firmly and wobble-free, though it may not be perfectly level -- it may be level enough, though.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Giyf