chips

Why are chip shop chips so horrible? They are soft and squashy; no crispness, and the potato doesn't taste right. Are they using the wrong type of spuds? Are cooking the chips on a low temp and not crisping them?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I'm not convinced that chips *should* be crispy, what do others think?

Reply to
Chris Green

On masterchef they seem to like crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.

I don't normally like freshly made chips from a chippy, I prefer them a bit soggy and not crispy, and prefer them with plenty of vinigar and a little salt. I know someone that likes pepper on their chips instead of salt.

Reply to
whisky-dave

because they are cooked in oil not beef dripping

Reply to
charles

You need to open a chippy, there's obviously an opening for a decent one round your way.

Reply to
R D S

Probably cooking them in oil rather than dripping.

I doubt they are made fresh all in one go.

I reckon you need King Edwards or Maris Piper, cut fairly large, and boiled for 4 minutes in lightly salted water. Let dry, then into piping hot corn oil. Should be crisp on the outside, soft inside.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 13:56 10 Jan 2019, whisky-dave snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

There's also a trend for frying chips twice to make them crispier on the outside and softer on the inside.

Ugh!

I don't like crispy chips. Also I don't like the inside to be like mashed potato.

Reply to
Pamela

No, just go round to the local chippy and tell them where they are going wrong and how you think they ought to be doing their job. they will be grateful for the advice.

TW

Reply to
TimW

I thought about asking my local chippie if they'll do sweet potato chips as I buy them in packets for £1.60 which is 2 meals worth. But as I go there less than 6 times a year doubt I'll bother, I'll just buy them and 'cook' them myself much cheaper too.

Not sure if they are healthier or not but I tend to have less salt on them than standad chips.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yeah, and you'll probably get chef's special sauce thrown in as a bonus.

Reply to
R D S

In the local chippie round here a bucketful of (what look like ready peeled) spuds are thrown into the chipping machine, and then the bucketful of chips thrown into the oil. I suspect that the large bulk of cold chipped potatoes may have a detriment on the oil temperature, at least at the start of the process.

Reply to
Chris B

Round here chips are delivered pre-chipped in big wheeled containers and coated in something which prevents browning.

Personally I've always preferred chip shop chips - especially when they've been left in the drawer for a while (same as fish). For me "fresh out the fryer" wasn't a good sign ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yes, that's the reason.

Reply to
harry

euh. Never really liked sweet potato. A swede chip, or a celeriac chip though, yummy. Cut them, coat them with oil and roast them, that's all you need to do. TW

Reply to
TimW

Yes. My Dutch friends said that chips from the chippie are cooked at too low a temperature.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Bill Wright expressed precisely :

Probably the wrong potato variety. One local does consistently good chips and fish. Oddly enough it is the cheapest place for miles. A local F&C restaurant with a great reputation (and price) which we sometimes dine, last time in - their chips were hard, pale and dry. We have not been back since.

I like them just slightly crisp on the outside and brown, if they can be brown without going hard or dry - but rather anaemic than like that.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

But that is what they are like in most chip shops. Boiled in oil.

I thought everyone knew they should be triple cooked.

Reply to
invalid

I can't wait for the Euro-Frite to arrive. TW

Reply to
TimW

Go to a different chip shop where they fry chips correctly.

Reply to
alan_m