200 quid for chips?

My deep at fryer is taking too long to provide my faraggio of potatage. Before I brexitit can anyone tell me a good reason besides saving on fuel why I would do better spending hundreds rather than tens on the Nexit?

Weatherlawyer

You've lost me. Care to explain? If you're a sore loser then there's no need.

Reply to
Fredxxx

All it's got to do is get hot & lift the chips out. What do you think?

Oven chips are far healthier anyway.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Aren't the ultra low fat air fryers healthier still?

Reply to
GB

yerrbut "chips" made by slicing celery would be even more healthy

And I assumed the Brexit link was the failure of the EU to grant traditional specialities protection so "fish and chips" could only be used if cooked in beef dripping :)

Reply to
Robin

As indeed they will....

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

If you want healthy, don't eat chips at all.

I'd rather have decent chips once in a while than vastly inferior oven chips often,

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think Lidl are doing one for 50 quid. Tempted to give it a try.

Reply to
R D S

The Tefal one slowly 'tumbles' the chips with a rotating scoop to ensure even coating and cooking, it works very well but is expensive. I don't think the cheaper ones do this.

Apart from using much less oil, it's better than deep frying because you can add things, for example, a sprig of rosemary, black pepper or a good pinch of smoked paprika, even some Parmesan towards the end. All this gets tumbled around with the chips. I like to crinkle cut the chips, or if the spuds are small, make them more like Tapas.

Because the tablespoon of oil is only used once, you can use just about any type. For me, it's usually either grapeseed oil for crispness or a

50/50 mix of olive and chilli oil for flavour.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I was watching something the other day and the suggestion was we (or bodies) turn carbs like potato and bread straight to sugar and because they don't also offer much else (in the way of vitamins or fiber) they are considered 'empty calories'?

Along similar lines, when buying a sandwich out we to try to go for stuff on 'multigrain' or 'wholemeal' (and not just 'brown') bread, rather than say a white baguette because we believe the content to bread ratio is higher (with a sandwich) and wholemeal is 'better' (not so bad as it at least contains some fiber) than straight white? I have also read that the grains we now use are grown for quantity not quality so there isn't actually much in it?

I also read something about the 'viability' of the grain (if it could actually grow if planted)?

Agreed (although some oven chips can be ok).

We don't have a deep fat fryer (and haven't for many years) and would rarely have chips at home of any form. We also don't fry much food, preferring to bake, grill or microwave.

If we want some carbs with a meal and fancy potato for a change we might first actually cook it in the microwave and then crisp it up in the over with whatever we are cooking (and so eat the skins as a slightly crispy treat). And we now only have half of a small / medium baker between us, rather than one each.

I think in spite of getting smaller plates and trying to serve up smaller (and better) portions, we were brought up to 'clear up your plate' rather than stopping when you think you have had 'sufficient'.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

We should have a referendum on that......

Reply to
David Lang

Not unless you live on them.

Reply to
Huge

I can see the campaign now:

"We will spend the £350M/w we currently spend on the EU on giving everyone a deep fat fryer".

Ironically it would probably turn out to be no less accurate than the NHS version.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. On the Sunday Politics show this morning I caught a bit where they had asked someone why they voted leave and the answer was the classic 'to stop immigration. When asked if he had considered any other aspects like a potential negative financial impact on the country and he answered 'I don't care, it's only me and my dog ...'.

It might just be him when the cost of dog food goes up. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If you watched any vox pops from the areas which were once prosperous, it was the common reason. And I don't think you could accuse the BBC of being pro leave so showing a carefully edited viewpoint.

Or even his own food.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just check out how easy they are to clean. I purchased an el-cheapo no name brand and it was almost impossible to clean out the integral frying compartment without water entering the casing and onto any electrical/electronic components therein. It went down to the tip about six months after purchase having had little use.

Reply to
alan_m

And when they explained there were more immigrants coming into this country (legally) than those coming in from the EU (also legally) they seemed stunned (it was definitely 'news to them')? When it was explained that these 'immigrants' were often a) doing the jobs that many English people wouldn't and b) paying their taxes and buying our products and c) many industries wouldn't be able to cope without them ... they were even further stunned.

However, being stunned didn't seem to stop the auto response of 'well, yeah, but we have too many immigrants ...'

*Every* honest discussion I have seen or heard since has had this undertone of 'no one fully contemplated the consequences of leaving the EU', because no one could of course.

Some however had a reasonably good idea and from a general man-in-the-street and most experts POV, it now looks like leaving seems to be more negative (especially in the short term (~12 years)) to most people lives than staying.

The leavers that aren't seriously (now) considering the consequences of their actions are generally those who voted Leave for some bogus and most likely never-to-be-seen-ITRW 'outcome'.

Like, home many *more* immigrants might we see over the next two years as opposed to those who might have been coming in over the next 10 had we stayed?

How will the leavers cope with not 180,000 p.a. but 750,000? They will come even knowing there won't be a job or housing because it's their 'last chance'?

Nope, they generally show an equal number of both sides.

If it's delivered by a vehicle it will already be costing more (with fuel bought against the pound - dollar value).

And that's the point isn't it ... most of the great unwashed have so little idea about the 'bigger picture' of all this it frightens me that they are allowed to vote. I didn't vote (well I voted NOTA [1]) because *I know* I don't know enough about it.

Cheers, T i m

[1] And that's another thing that has often been brought up in these post Brexit discussions. Had the people been able to vote for a few more options, we might have got closer to what the people *actually* wanted than the binary *choice* they were given (or were tricked into making).
Reply to
T i m

Didn't seem to matter. That awfully nice Mr Farage had assured them that they'd get their country back by voting leave. And their town back too, obviously.

So like someone with terminal cancer, they got hope from any old quack.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm sold.

Reply to
R D S

Its a personal thing.

I hate the standard chip shop chips around here. Oven chips are far better.

I don't even like the ones in the black country museum and they are cooked in beef dripping like they used to do. The fish is nice though.

The biggest problem is they don't have the fat hot enough, just so the fat lasts longer.

Reply to
dennis

ITYM its supposed to tumble them, mine does a poor job at tumbling them and you need to qive them a stir a couple of times while they are cooking.

Reply to
dennis