200 quid for chips?

If you don't know how to chips you don't know how to live.

I occasionally tip mine into a saucepan for filtering but if i just turn it on long enough to melt the fat I can upend it into a skillet and scrape any crumbs and crud off for use frying eggs etcetera. The inside just needs a wipe with tissue, not washing.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Some of them have/had a habit of catching fire if the air duct isn't kept clean.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Less fat in a portion of fish and chips than in a sandwich:

The total fat content of an average portion of fish and chips is estimated to be 48.2g. This compares favourably with a cheese and ham sandwich with m ayonnaise which has 51.98g fat and a donner kebab in pitta bread with salad and chips, which has a total fat content of 57.74g.

An average portion of fish, chips and peas contains only 7.3% fat of which

2.8% is saturated fat. This compares with 10.8% fat in a pork pie and 16.8 grams you will find in a tuna mayonnaise sandwich.

Beef dripping has less total calories than palm fat:

I'm hungry now.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Some fire brigades and housing associations have already done that in a chi p pan amnesty.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes, but it's no all about fat is it?

So all pretty similar then. So, the next question would be what are the benefits of each?

(FWIW I'm also trying to say away from 'processed meats' so would rarely have ham. If I have a kebab it would generally be chicken and rarely with chips (and I often don't eat all the pita)).

Interesting, but again, rarely eat pork pies and prefer salad cream to mayo (in case that makes any difference (either way)).

Again, is it just about the calories and fat?

So am I. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well, yes. Chances are they use the very cheapest prepared chips they can find. Nothing like making proper ones from scratch at home.

Could well be.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If I want fish and chips, I generally don't want a bit of nasty end of beef mixed in, thanks. YMMV.

I do find *all* chips from fish and chip shops simply awful. I want crispy and brown. They do pale and soggy. I have no idea why?

Reply to
GB

En el artículo , Syd Rumpo escribió:

Oh, I like the sound of that. Shall give it a try. Cheers.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

First press rapeseed oil (doesn't spit as much, apparently), dash of chili oil, microwave covered for up to 5 minutes, oven for 15 minutes, turning once.

Reply to
RJH

Stunned because it was such an utterly obvious and pointless point, it's hard to know what to say to it.

same as the above

discussions by people that haven't engaged brain maybe.

for 'looks like' read 'that's the spin I'm hearing on it'

more propaganda

more propaganda

From when I used to listen to the BBC, it's not the number they play with, but how well thought thought each side's points are. And the real key points are often just not mentioned at all.

no

I think you'll find the masses do wash these days. Bathrooms & DHW are affordable now.

a separate topic for another thread

So when the vote goes your way, people voted rightly and when it doesnt they were 'tricked.' Oh, and now the outcome doesn't suit you you want some other options instead.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That's up to each campaign/party/side as to who gets put forward for interview, and how competent they are, of course.

Reply to
Adrian

d to be 48.2g. This compares favourably with a cheese and ham sandwich with mayonnaise which has 51.98g fat and a donner kebab in pitta bread with sal ad and chips, which has a total fat content of 57.74g.

h 2.8% is saturated fat. This compares with 10.8% fat in a pork pie and 16.

8 grams you will find in a tuna mayonnaise sandwich.

So 2 organisations that promote fish & chips claim they contain less fat th an an exceptionally high fat sandwich containing unknown and chosen by them quantities of exceptionally high fat ingredients. More useless information would be hard to find.

220/100g versus 216/100g. Maybe you also noticed they were comparing unequa l samples, making such figures completely worthless.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No I'm talking about the various interviews and discussions of audiences, people in the street, letters etc.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They are vox pops. Rather difficult to select them from only those who have a good understanding of the subject. That's what 'experts' are for. Except that the common man was told to ignore those, as they're not always right. By the leave campaign, of course. Who were rather lacking in experts supporting them. As is only too obvious now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The problem with the referendum is that neither side will get what they voted for if they voted against immigration or better funding of the NHS or any of the other promises made by people that couldn't deliver them. So yes, a lot were tricked into voting one way. Depending on which way you voted you will probably think the others were tricked but time will show which ones were tricked the most and I would put bets on it being the leave voters as most of them will not get what they wanted.

Stay will keep most of what we have but at the cost of any influence in the way the EU is going.

So all in all only the Germans and French win.

Reply to
dennis

I'd say there's little doubt that the vote was won by those whose aim was to end immigration. And give the government a good kicking. They almost certainly won't get what they think they were voting for immigration wise, and have likely hurt their own foot rather more than the government.

I think in this case everyone loses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With respect there was bs from both sides, as there is at every vote.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

certainly wasn't why I voted as I did.

snip more remainisms.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not that hard.

The case for windmills, or invading Iraq, would be two easy examples.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Didn't say you did. Given the small percentage majority, it didn't need that many to whom immigration was the primary issue to swing the vote.

I take it you never watched TV? In those areas where there was a large majority to leave, the most common topic by far was immigration.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)