Fish and Chips - How come?

How come the nearer you get to the source of the fish, the more expensive it becomes and no matter where you are in the UK?

At home, 60 miles from the coast, pensioners special F&C £3.60. Whitby, next to the fish dock, £9-ish.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Maybe because coastal locations are often tourist hot-spots, and there is a surcharge as an unofficial "tourist tax".

Anyway The Magpie (the one that is close to the fish dock) has a high reputation and you are probably paying a premium for the name as well as the quality. We actually prefer Mister Chips on the other (east) side of the bridge and just round the right-hand bend.

Reply to
NY

I don't know these days, but for years the most expensive petrol was the nearest petrol station to Fawley Refinery, Hampshire.

Reply to
N_Cook

They're catching the tourists?

Reply to
JNugent

We had excellent fish and chips at the little cafe near the Magpie, and much cheaper.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

At Uig the pub charged us a fortune for the beer 'because of transport costs'. But the brewery is 100 yards away.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

but, the ingredients needed to be brought in from far away.

Reply to
charles

About £6.50 to £7.50 for regular fish and chips in places in South Yorkshire.

Reply to
ARW
<snip>

Yup, in the case of fish, often from abroad (in the EU) where they still have migrant workers willing to process the fish and where our fisherman can land them without huge quantities of paperwork.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Read Fred Normandale's books about life as a fisherman in Scarborough between the 1960s and 2000s for his views on the ever-increasing bureaucracy and regulation of the British fishing industry - and his comments about Dutch mega-trawlers being allowed to fish only a few miles off the British coast and refusing even to obey the "rule of the road" for vessels at sea.

They are an excellent series of books that portray the good and the bad of life on a trawler. My only criticism is that in his first book he should have included a diagram of the various parts of a trawl net (cod-end, bobbins, boards) and of the winch mechanism on the trawler, since he refers to these terms a lot. Maybe even a series of diagrams showing what happens as the net is gradually winched in. It would help understand what is happening when it all goes wrong.

Reply to
NY

£8 here from the mobile chippy who been coming every week during lockdown.
Reply to
charles

Count your (several) selves lucky: £10.50 for cod/haddock & chips locally; £11.50 at Faulkners in Kingsland Rd; and a slog to Theobalds Rd if you want them fried in dripping for £9.75.

Reply to
Robin

The heaviest ingredient comes from a mountain stream just behind the brewery!

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

They give me indigestion anyway. Also, my own chips are far far superior to chip shop chips, and I roast the fish, so no indigestion.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Your reply is too late! Yesterday was National Fish and Chip Day 2021.

(But not as late as most of those coming from homeowners hub.)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Sounds fishy, but on the other hand, a lot of coastal shops say, locally caught fish, and these are normally via small operations with high costs. Most of the rest of the country use bulk factory caught fish I'd suggest of indeterminate breed and heritage.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

but you wouldn't think it was beer without the hops and barley

Reply to
charles

NY used his keyboard to write :

We ended up last evening in the 'Abbey ????', paying £11.50 each for basic haddock F&C's. I'm not a great lover of fish, but the fish was superb. We went there, because it was one of the ones where you could take a dog in with you - there were quite a few in there and a few minor scraps.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

williamwright expressed precisely :

Terry's ? We used to go there and eat in shifts, one looking after the dog, but their prices have shot up too, so round to the 'Abbey ??' on the oppoosite side of the river.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

on 04/06/2021, charles supposed :

Pensioners Special £3.60 (or £3.80 from another local chippie) - small haddock, far too many chips and a pot of peas or curry, as a take-away.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.