Can You Buy?

My neighbours gas meter cupboard has lost its lock, don't know how or when and it keeps blowing open in the wind. Is it possible to buy just the lock mechanism? The box is the type on the outside of the house that uses a triangular key for opening.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Try

you will have to replace the door but it is should only be held on with screws

Reply to
jason

You can get Architrave Meter Overboxes which go over the existing frame. Don't know about locks on their own.

Reply to
EricP

All they keys are the same, hence you only need a new key - which is 66p from BES, I'd expect B&Q warehouse to have these, or call your local gas company - they should only charge you a few quid

jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

Thanks but they still have the key, it is the actual LOCKING MECHANISM that has gone AWOL.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

should

MECHANISM that

Why not glue a magnetic catch on it ?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In article , John writes

Camlock is the general term for that sort of thing, try

item 340-5751 3.03 + vat. They will deal with anyone provided you order by CC online. You should be able to find it cheaper elsewhere with a bit of googling. CPC have camlocks but key operated only, not triangular apparently.

Reply to
fred

On experience of meter readers I would only fit a lock that is opened by a key, if they cannot open it the usual way they will just walk away and you'll get an estimate.

Reply to
Broadback

OK maybe I should have said 'standard locking/latching mechanism'. I have found one via a link from another poster who understood my question.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Many thanks I have ordered a new one from here at a whole £1.00 ( + postage & VAT ) total £2.70!

Thanks again

John

Reply to
John

There is no need for you to purchase a lock. Just telephone your service provider and they should send you one through the post if you are capable of fitting it yourself

Reply to
the_constructor