Gas meter box keys

Being a scatter brain lately I've lost the key that opens the gas box to get at the meter. It has a triangular shape and the key is plastic.

Any ideas how I can find one of these keys so I can get to the meter

...its a pre payment gas meter which is low .. and its top up time :-s

I did call the gas company I'm with and they said they dont sell any such keys.

Reply to
Joseph Craine

from a quickie google.

eBay as well or local hardware shops, pound stores etc ...

Reply to
Adrian C

DIY shop or borrow one from a neighbour.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Screwfix ...and possibly Toolstation as well

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Usenet Nutter wibbled on Tuesday 08 December 2009 14:01

Mine's the same as my leccy meter box, although the latter is a bit of bent metal.

That should double the OP's chance of locating one.

Reply to
Tim W

I also have a

I seldom use it.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

My local Tesco store has the 4-way ones.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My electric meter is in one of those boxes. I never had a key. The box was frequently left open by the meter reader, so I rang the leccy company (the one that I pay (paid) for my leccy) and they sent me one f.o.c. (marked 'Gas'!).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

And CPC

Reply to
Bob Eager

Joseph Craine used his keyboard to write :

Most hardware shops will sell these, they come as a 'spider' of four types of key one of which fits a meter cupboard. I have also seen them in pound shops.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

How much were they :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

About a pound I think :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Frank Erskine laid this down on his screen :

Hope you didn't use it on the 'leccy' box :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Our local Tesco sells those.

Reply to
mick

A 9mm (or is it 7mm?) socket fits ours...

ASDA do a Draper four way meter cupboard key for £1.08.

Reply to
dennis

That's the one ASDA do, £1.08.

Reply to
dennis

I'll be honest I didn't know there were different sizes I thought it was a universal thing. I'll guess 7mm.

Reply to
Joseph Craine

If you've got a pair of long nose pliers you can save yourself =A31 and a trip into town. Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

People have lost the art of improvisation

Reply to
Stuart Noble