wooden window frames slight mould ?

I have wooden window frames, and along the bottom edge closest to the window is a kind of black matter like moul looking. I've tried wiping it off and some comes off but there its still kind of there stained and like stained in.
What can I do to get rid of it as its quite horrible and lets the home down on appearance.

Is it like the stuff you get round the bath/shower caused by water lying on it

Domestos will cure it. (not cheap bog cleaner though)
John wrote:

I'll give it a try, thanks John.
Usenet Nutter wrote:

No more of a black substance.
I'm wondering if I can carefully scrub it off as much as possible, then sand it and then varnish or stain it ? to get them back to niceness :)

Which is what you get round a bath/shower ???
Usenet Nutter wrote:

Ahh you mean on the mastic ?
if so yep thats the nasty stuff.

Oh I see. You meant the normal crap and scum and stuff...If it was as easy to clean the black stuff as it is to get rid of the scummy stuff!!

Don't sand it or use any abrasive cleaner or you will make the surface rough and spores of mould will find it easier to get a hold.
Joseph Craine wrote:

First of all, treat it with http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/polycell_mould_killer.jsp
Then you have to stop the cause or it will eventually return.
The cause almost certainly being condensation. You need to improve ventilation.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Bingo I'll grab that, I gave domestos a go with no joy.
I'll grab some from B&Q who I guess will sell this.
I think the person there before had not dealt with the problem and airing the place out. Also I did not the window seals are shot to death this afternoon while trying to clean it off.