External Meter Box Spares

My house was built about 15 years ago and has two white meter boxes or cupboards set in to an outside wall so that the meters can be read without getting in to the house.

Great idea, but now the door catches have worn and the doors now have a tendency to swing open at times of their own choosing. They are the type that you open with a key that fits over the end a triangular nylon rod. Does anybody know where I can get spares for these things?

Life has taught me to expect that the whole box has to be replaced, even though it's only the catch that is faulty. Please tell me I am wrong because it looks to me like the meters would have to be removed before the boxes could be replaced.

TIA Steve

Reply to
Steve

Speak to your services supplier/s. AFAIK the boxes are the responsibility and property of the energy companies.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Frank Erskine

they are the responsibility of the home owner not the utilities company however the spare can normally be sourced from a decent building supply company or some times ordered via your gas or electric supplier

Reply to
hammy1967

It surely isn't beyond making a simple alternative or at least trying an enclosure catch from one of the electrical cabinet manufacturers such a Rittall, Legrand, etc I believe they do the triangular key options also.

Reply to
John