two stroke hedge trimmer overhaul

Friend has acquired a no-name-special (possibly Argos once upon a time) two stroke hedge trimmer. He's given it to me to fix!

The symptoms are that it starts easily and will happily idle but will not run at a speed suitable for cutting anything.

As I open the throttle the speed increases proportionally but falls almost to a stall as full throttle position is approached.

Any suggestions welcomed

Richard

Reply to
rjs

Empty out the fuel and replace.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Plus check the exaust is not coked up. Burn the carbon out of it on a stove or similar, outdoors.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I have a cheapo "McCulloch" I purchased 10 years ago with similar symptoms that recur.

In my case I remove the carburettor (2 screws) and dismantle into component parts (one big screw and 4 small ones).

Immerse in a jamjar of petrol + slosh about for a few minutes

Reassemble and problem solved.

Vortex

It could be a split in the carb diaphragm, blocked air filter or carb main jet, crap in the fuel tank/pipe.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Restricted fuel supply? Does it have a fuel filter?

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Done

Reply to
rjs

Good idea

Reply to
rjs

Yes it does and I did wonder if that was the cause - certainly the symptoms are similar to a partially blocked main jet. However, removing the filter has no effect.

RIchard

Reply to
rjs

How do you do that then? ;-)

T i m

p.s. My bet, blocked exhaust mesh

Reply to
T i m

First eat a Vindaloo ...

I forgot that one.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I found an easy way to clear out partially blocked jets....

Start the beast up, run it to as near as you can get to max revs, and slap your hand over the air intake. It puts full intake vacuum on the jets and clears any rubbish.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield