BT Broadband - Hows much should I be paying?

I've had an email from BT saying my 'broadband discount' ends soon - I reckon I'm already paying too much but cannot log on to my BT account to see details of my package despite going through their reset procedure :(
I think that I have unlimited calls on one BT landline and unlimited broadband - so what should I be paying.
It would be nice to have comparisons before I call them on Monday :)
Andrew
n Sat, 1 Jul 2017 12:50:42 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"

On one landline, I have: BT Phone unlimited Anytime calls BT Broadband, Up to 17Mb download speed (whatever than means!) BT Call Protect BT Answer 1571
Bill for May-June, excluding phone calls was
BT Answer 1571 £2.50 BT Broadband and Calls Package £40.99 BT Unlimited anytime calls £8.99 Total Rental and other charges £52.48
--

Chris

Chris Hogg brought next idea :

Wow, v expensive!
Plusnet
Broadband upto 17Mb (actually getting 16Mb) Inc line rental, free anytime calls UK (upto 1hour), 2000 minutes of mobile calls per month, caller ID, loads of email addresses, but no webspace. Cost us £26.98 pm when we signed up November, but they just changed it to £27.98 pm. We got a £50 cheque back, a month after signing up with them.
On Sat, 01 Jul 2017 14:23:43 +0100, Harry Bloomfield

Yes, we pay by DD so these things tend to creep up un-noticed. Was £32/month when I signed up two-and-a-half years ago, but that included a £10 discount introductory offer, so in reality it's gone up by about 25% in that time (say £42 to £52). Still a lot though.
But I doubt I'll change. It works for me, and I rather take the attitude that better the devil you know...
--

Chris

Especially the 1571.
When BT introduced a charge for that I got a letter/email(?) telling me that I could have a basic service for free or an enhanced service (own recorded message, couple of other not very necessary to have items) for a fee.
I took the basic service for free
so few people who ring me on my LL want to leave a message (if they don't get answered they will just ring my mobo) why pay the extra?
tim

But is all that an introductory offer? To compare, you'd need the normal price.
--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Circa 26ppm is the "normal" price for unlimited (normal, i.e. not fibre) BB, phone line and evening/weekend calls
Though, I think new signups no longer get the evening/weekend calls included. But it's only, like, 2 quid extra.
They always have introductory offers on, um offer.
tim
Dave Plowman (News) has brought this to us :

Normal is what others are willing to pay, introductory offers are great for those willing to swap at each year end - which is what I always now for broadband, gas & electric, insurance and etc..
Simply because they take you for a mug, if you just stay with them and hike the price at each year end.
On 01/07/2017 19:46, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I've just taken out BB+phone line = £125 for the year, paid in advance, ie just over £10 pm. Origin Broadband. Calls are expensive, but I don't make any from that phone.
That's their standard price, BTW.
HTH
On Sat, 01 Jul 2017 19:46:44 +0100, Harry Bloomfield

Not true.
A few years ago I rang BT to get my MAC code as the rate had gone up considerably for a rural broadband service that barely got 1.5Mbps (purely distance to exchange issue).
I was asked why I was leaving and got offered a very low rate, unlimited broadband, weekend calls, and caller display. Subsequently moved house to suburbia so was expecting a big problem on renewal - rang up in good time as I was going overseas - no problem - same rate.
Renewed earlier this year, same deal again.
I make most of my outgoing calls through 1899 and my total annual telecoms bill, BT + 1899 is less that ?300.
There must be some sort of note on my account.
--
AnthonyL

Not sure I'd want the hassle of changing my ISP every year. Except for a considerable saving.

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 11:15:57 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I do it every year, there is no hassle now. None of that requesting a MAC code any more, the gaining provider does all the work. The only downside is the collection of old routers in the garage.
Currently with Sky which was half price line rental & free BB for a year and £50 bill credit, so £8ish quid a month after the £50 was used up. There were no calls so I splashed out £4 for evening & weekend calls.
In recent years I've gone Sky>Plusnet>EE>Sky.
Also up to 17Mb is actually up to 24Mb, but advertising rules state is has to say 17Mb due to the speed variations v line length. I actually get around 20Mb.
On 01/07/2017 14:23, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Just moved to Plusnet (which is owned by BT anyway) and we are paying £34 per month for unlimited, 38Mb FTTC (actually getting 37Mb despite a lower estimate), anytime UK calls and 2000 minutes per month to UK mobiles.
SteveW
Steve Walker formulated on Saturday :

I know it says 2000 minutes per month of included mobile calls, but did they actually mean 2000, rather than 200? 2000 seems an awful lot.
On 01/07/2017 21:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

2000 is what was on the selection on the sign-up page and on the confirmation. They have options for unlimited landline and mobile calls for £8!
SteveW
ouch!
You need to shop around. You're bring ripped off.
--
(\_/)
On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 21:27:44 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Looks to me like being double billed for call packages but BT bills are horrible, with all manner of charges and deductions scattered about.
--
Cheers
Dave.

You have to be careful about free weekend calls. Only free for an hour on one call. You then get charged a lot for extra minutes.
--
*I did a theatrical performance about puns. It was a play on words.*

On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 11:28:30 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I thought that applied to all "bundled" calls. ie in bundle for the first 60 mins then charged. Hang up at 59m 59s and redial is allowed.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Who talks on the phone for an hour?! Fuck me...
--
(\_/)