BT Broadband - Hows much should I be paying?

A lot of modems tend to play up over 4 to 5 years, especially the cheap bog standard crappy ones that ISPs give you.

Reply to
Bod

Blimey!!

Reply to
Bod

On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 20:44:58 +0100, Huge wro= te:

I only got that kind of service when I found a particularly good enginee= r who gave me his mobile number. I bypassed the fault system after that= point.

-- =

I thought the wife would be the ideal candidate for a new TV show. Turns out I got it all wrong and the program's called Fact Hunt.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No Plusnet router has ever failed on me. Or a BT one for that matter. Mind you the BT one I had apparently failed miserably on certain computers, because it broke the 500mA USB limit. I was lucky enough to have a computer with a less fussy motherboard.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Me too. 7 days????

I've had two separate problems, at different times. Both were an end of the drop wire (pole first time, house end the second). In both cases I called during the evening. On one occasion the OR guy came within half an hour, went up the pole and fixed it. On the other one (later in the evening) he arrived at 0800 next day and replaced the termination box.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 21:27:30 +0100, Bob Eager wrote:=

I've had a BT engineer curse the previous one for "fitting the waterproo= f cover the wrong way up so it filled with water".

-- =

You are the only person I know that has ever had a brain tumour removed = from their arse.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'm interpreting it as real life sustained download speed. Whether I get that, and it's their interpretation, remains to be seen.

Reply to
RJH

I'm not sure how they can guarantee anything but the sync. Any download is only as fast as the slowest link in the chain which is likely to outside the control of any ISP.

Reply to
alan_m

7 days? And I thought TalkTalk bad.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

7 days with no internet and I change provider immediately.
Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Shhh, don't let my roughly ten year old (probably older) modems hear that... BT Voyager 240 (flogged off customer return in Staples) or Zyxel P660R-61C (ISP supplied).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've had faults fixed quicker than that but only by finding the engineer fiddling in a joint post and saying "oy, my lines gone off...".

With our deal they do jump though, perhaps too keen, they sent an "out of area" engineer once, he didn't have the local knowledge (ali cable, no spare working pairs) so he couldn't fix the fault by simple pair swapping. Handed the open fault back and Openreach then pulled a "local" engineer off another job over in Stockton 40 odd miles away. He fixed it within 15 minutes of knocking on the door...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've never actually known a modem or router fail, apart from one that got struck by lightning. Why would they break? There's no moving parts and they don't run hot enough to melt anything due to fan failure. Like CPUs, they live forever.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Not had that many problems but a couple of weeks ago the line both voice and broadband started to play up. 3 properties drop wires come from the pole in the hedge across the road and we are the middle one. Property to the left called in a fault and an openreach engineer did what he had to do but afterwards our normally rock steady phone line deteriorate both on speech and BB so I reckoned the law of sod struck and he inadvertently disturbed our connections in the junction box. Before I got around to reporting our faults the property to our right called in about the tree branch that fallen on and was now hanging on their drop wire, it wasn't large but wind action and the wires slope had gradually moved it to the middle between pole and house.

When I did eventually get around to reporting our intermittent service* by the online chat method the representative did a line test which showed a fault very close to or within our property but emphasized their would be a charge if the fault was found outside their area of responsibility and wanted me to do various checks, this was strong enough that it could put meeker people off and I wonder how many people are living with bad lines because they don't want to take the risk of being hit for a large charge. My reply was that as out of the 3 drop wires the other two already had needed attention the odds were fairly likely that our drop wire had been affected rather than anything beyond the master socket and just get on with sending an engineer. She gave up on asking me to checks in the house then and arranged a slot.

No problem in that respect, arrived bang on time, only ironical thing is that they sent a text message with the name of the engineer and that he was on his way which I did not get till he repaired** the line as cellular signal for all networks is almost non existent here. Hence I use the 3 in touch service which normally diverts call and messages if they don't get through to our broadband a nd then to the phone byWiFi.

  • The neighbour whose repair affected us is also with BT so via the Fon facility we were using their link.
** it was a bad joint in the pole junction box

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

En el artículo , Dave Liquorice escribió:

I dumped BT years ago because of the massive and impenetrable bills.

Today I pay Plusnet 10 quid a month for "up to" 40Mbps fibre (which I get, and 79Mbps is available according to the line checker) with no inclusive call package.

There's no phone plugged into the line, so no calls to pay for. I use the inclusive minutes on my mobile instead.

I think BT rely a lot on inertia, akin to the insurance industry (as someone else suggested).

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Dave Liquorice escribió:

Who talks on the phone for an hour?! Fuck me...

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , RJH escribió:

Don't. Just don't.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Now, that could be irritating.

Reply to
Richard

Just what I was thinking. However, who the hell spends hours on the Usenet.... :)

Reply to
alan_m

I'd imagine they mean by some sort of 'speedtest' - they have their own -

RJH