BT Broadband - Hows much should I be paying?

When we used Tiscali (not my choice) for outworkers, where the compnay was providing the broadband, they traffic shaped all kind of stuff and denied doing it. I had to get a very senior manager of to talk to one of their directors to (i) get them to admit lying about it & (ii) stop it.
So I would never go to Tiscali.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 37th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 02/07/2017 10:41, Huge wrote:

I see.

Plusnet does not traffic shape at all. I can P2P 24/7 at full 53Mbit line speed.
--
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is "Lunch."

I get a steady 54Mbps down and 18 up, 8ms ping on average.
On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 04:53:13 +0100, Bod wrote:

Exactly. But when you get a problem...you will have a problem.
On 02/07/2017 11:30, Bob Eager wrote:

I had only two problems, both with their supplied modem/routers. They immediately sent replacements within about 3 days. There was no quibbling at all.

Funny, same thing happened with my neighbour's ones. And her neighbour. And both had me phone tech support because they couldn't understand the bloody foreigners they employ.
Use Plusnet. Everyone is English, from the north of England, they speak clearly and know what they're talking about.
--
40,000 Americans are injured by toilets each year.

Why would I change when I've had a good service from TT?

I've never replaced a router for a start. You've broken them TWICE.
--
I spent a couple of hours defrosting the fridge last night, or "foreplay" as she likes to call it.

A lot of modems tend to play up over 4 to 5 years, especially the cheap bog standard crappy ones that ISPs give you.

No Plusnet router has ever failed on me. Or a BT one for that matter. Mind you the BT one I had apparently failed miserably on certain computers, because it broke the 500mA USB limit. I was lucky enough to have a computer with a less fussy motherboard.
--
Uncle Larry was smoking in a restaurant the other day when a guy came up to him and said, "That smoke's bothering me."
Larry said, "Well, it's killing me. If I don't care about what it's doing to me, why would I give a shit what it's doing to you?"
On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 20:45:45 +0100, Bod wrote:

Shhh, don't let my roughly ten year old (probably older) modems hear that... BT Voyager 240 (flogged off customer return in Staples) or Zyxel P660R-61C (ISP supplied).
--
Cheers
Dave.

I've never actually known a modem or router fail, apart from one that got struck by lightning. Why would they break? There's no moving parts and they don't run hot enough to melt anything due to fan failure. Like CPUs, they live forever.
--
When I got home last night, my wife demanded that I take her somewhere expensive... So, I took her to a petrol station...
And then the fight started...

I've had more than one fail.

For the same reason any electronic device fails.

Electronic devices with no moving parts fail anyway.

They hardly ever have fans.

Even more of a pathetic excuse for a troll than you usually manage.
On 01/07/2017 16:32, alan_m wrote:

Apparently they use exactly the same infrastructure as BT, and that is consistently 9 MBs. And they say they don't throttle. I'm going to know pretty quickly come the day (in about 2 weeks) . . .
--
Cheers, Rob

On 02/07/2017 00:26, RJH wrote:

Cheap ISPs don't throttle users, they just put more of them down a smaller capacity link. Throttling is selective, increasing contention is not. So they can claim not to throttle but still have PPP.
They do this because you can have as many users as they like down a pipe and BT still only charges by the size of the pipe they rent.
Long gone the days where every user shared the same big pipe whatever ISP they chose. ISPs get their own pipe and its up to them how big and how many. Its a significant cost.
Choosing the size is economics and managing the users expectations, if you have lots of users just surfing you don't need a big pipe, if like Sky you do TV over it you need significantly larger pipes.
On 02/07/2017 10:24, dennis@home wrote:

OK, thanks. They do guarantee a minimum speed at all times - 60Mbs. If it falls below that I can exit the contract without penalty. But: I have to give them 28 days to sort it. Which then gets into the customer service loop. We shall see!
--
Cheers, Rob

On 02/07/2017 10:36, RJH wrote:

Check the wording, they might guarantee a line speed but not actual throughput. Line speed is mainly affected by the distance between you and the CAB, throughput depends on what other users are doing.
On 02/07/2017 16:40, dennis@home wrote:

This is the wording, with no small print:
Minimum Guaranteed speed 59Mb      Download speed 66Mb to 80Mb      Upload speed 20Mb

--
Cheers, Rob

On 02/07/2017 18:04, RJH wrote:
8<

So just the line speed. If it syncs they have meet what they say.