BT Broadband - Hows much should I be paying?

cannot

Total Care. Faults fixed by end of next day 365 days/year. "Day is

0800 to 1800 (might be later). But once they start working on the fault they'll finish even if it goes past the notional "end of day" time.

I dislike the fact you can't report a fault online you have to go via residential faults in Mumbai and jump through all the muppet filtering. I have had one try and make an appointment for 3 working days ahead until I mentioned Total Care. That puts you on hold presumably while they talk to the BT Openreach regional center to make the appointment.

Had ISDN as there was no ADSL or "Home Highway". When ADSL came a long and I decided to drop the (expensive) ISDN, boy was it a battle transfering the "business" ISDN base number to a "residential" POTS line. Very easy to port two of the MSNs to a VOIP provider though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

passing

exchnage 2

Could? It is!

Just wish BT would sort out FTTP in some sensible manner. FTTPoD had promise but seems dead in the water now. A pole (or chamber) mounted mini "green cabinet" would be nice if physically close enough but homes and farms are a little spread out around here.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

(which I

Very good if it does.

Aye, the land line (well VOIP) works! For mobile calls here you have to be upstairs by a window on the right side of the house. Even then it'll Donald Duck and have the horrible delay.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I started out with one number, then got a second one when I was experimenting with joining two modems together. When I changed to ISDN, the first number was dropped (or I decided to), not sure why I went with a different phone number, probably to lose a load of salesmen databases. ISDN to ADSL didn't change any number and was as easy to install as if I had a normal phone line.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Great fun when you try to explain you're not using a PC...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why isn't it instantly full speed?

Also that wireless is just rubbish. Unless the router is in the same room as the laptop, you get f*ck all signal.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

A real life test with a meaningful number should average the speed you c= an get to several servers all over the world, just like you'd actually b= e doing.

-- =

Love is complicated machinery. But sometimes all you need is a good screw to fix it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

OK, thanks, I will of course check come the day (or after a week). I take what you (all) say, but I will kick off if it's less than 59Mb using that site.

80Mb down, 19Mb up, using my current BT connection.
Reply to
RJH

Looks like a standard charge for FTTC.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

And watch the start and end time of "weekend" and "evening"

Reply to
bert

In article , Mike Tomlinson writes

No thank you.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

And you can still see the dial when the sun is shining

Reply to
bert

You can also hear the bells and tell properly where the sound is coming from instead of an irritating beep. There's just something about the solid build, ringing sound and sheer presence of a 1950's bakelite phone!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Hopefully they'll take the opportunity to lay FTTP.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

2 million homes by 2020 at up to a Gbit! You've just given me an erect= ion.

-- =

What's the best thing to get for a woman who has everything? A man to show her how to work it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

bills

I read "BT Broadband and Calls Package" to be a combined charge for broadband and what ever "calls package" you have opted for.

So What is that "BT Unlimited anytime calls" call package doing there?

And what has broadband got to do with calls? Unless also buying a VOIP service from BT but even that is tenuious.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

With Plusnet some of the fibre packages include call packages, and sometimes the fibre is more expensive if you don't have line rental and/or calls with them.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Context is BT Retail not Plusnet.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes and it is right that they do so rather than cause a surprise later, it just seemed to me that the call handler was emphasising it a bit too much as if they expect the fault to be elsewhere ,maybe most are . So I could understand someone who is not particularly adept at checking plug connections ,swapping filters ,remembering to unplug that old phone in dead hubbies office etc and has no one convenient to help them getting put off and suffering with a bad line for fear of being billed for over a £100 call out fee.

One strange thing when I reported our fault by the online "chat"method. As I said upthread I held my ground when asked to go and do such checks , partly becuse they were the first things I tried when the line went crackly but as i said to them the tree branch bouncing off the drop wires which my neighbour got them to come and remove from his was far more likley to be the reason, the Call handler came back shortly after with a response but instead of using my name called the first name of that neighbour. I asked if she had looked up the fault he had reported to see if I was telling the truth about the tree branch and mistakenly then called me by that name, profuse apolgies and no it was a complete coincidence about the name but she was doing two chat calls at once and the other one just happened to be the same name as my neighbour. I'm still not convinced but if she was telling the truth I'm not sure dealing with more than one customer at a time is wise thing to do, if they can confuse the names then on occasion they must mix up the faults.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

En el artículo , Dave Liquorice escribió:

Whoever you pay your line rental to is responsible for POTS faults, so if you pay line rental to your ISP, they're your first port of call.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson