BT Broadband - Hows much should I be paying?

To a certain extent I do. But not when it takes more time than the mone= y I save.

It's exactly the reverse of that. If I have a problem with my broadband= , I speak to my ISP and they fix it (subcontracting to the POTS provider= as necessary, completely transparent to me). If I had broadband and PO= TS seperately, I'd need to speak to both of them, and they could both en= d up telling me to go ask the other, nobody admitting fault. I used to = have that and will never do it again.

Not my fault your brain is imprecise.

Because I don't just want pots. I want pots and fast broadband for as l= ittle as possible, with as little hassle as possible.

Never experienced an echo, even on cheap shit phones.

Unless you live in the Outer Hebrides, this is very uncommon, so why wor= ry? Are you one of those teenagers that dies if they can't access Faceb= ook on their phone for half an hour?

It was spoken to me, it got half the words wrong.

You said "Yes, bloody awful delay, 50 ms or so (that's plu/minus some nu= mber between zero and 20) and if the echo cancelors aren't working prope= rly an echo as well."

So you're ok with nuisance calls? Do you take delight in telling all th= e sales warts to f*ck off?

-- =

Don't waste money on binoculars, stand closer to the object.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That only happens in very poor signal areas. I have ONE bar of signal in my house out of six. I can understand people. A word might be missing from every fourth sentence, but the brain can fill that in easily.

Low volume though is much harder to understand. I'd rather have it loud with a few words missing that I can fill in subconsciously.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On that basis I'd never go shopping the 80 minutes just getting there and back could never be recouped. Delivery? Well only Asda and I think Sainsburys deliver to our area.

No you just speak to the broadband supplier. I guess you are not knowledgeable enough to tell the difference between a broadband fault and POTS fault.

So you need a POTS provider who will repair the line by the end of the next day any day of the year. Not one who might get it fixed in a day or three.

Lucky you but as you're not aware of the delay either it's just a good brain washing. Phones soound awful, have a delay, sometimes an echo that's just they way they are, they can't be better.

A mobile needs a working cell.

Power outages? Chaces are you'll want to use the phone when the power has gone, anything from reporting it to calling an Ambulance cause a member of the family has suffered and injury in the dark. Or the place is on fire 'cause an unattended candle fell over.

Hardly, my grand children could be teenagers.

If we got any probably not, but as the POTS is really only there for the ADSL if they became a nuisance I'd just switch the ringer off and let a machine deal with them.

If I'm not busy and a rare call does come through I take delight in stringing them along for as long as possible. Had one of the "microsoft your PC is infected" ones going round in circles for about

15 minuets before he gave up, very confused.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I wouldn't travel that far just for groceries.

Then use them.

Irrelevant, they still blame each other. The important thing is if THEY= are knowledgeable enough. With a single supplier, it's entirely up to = them to sort it.

"The end of the next day" and "a day or three" are similar enough not to= be concerned about it.

What do you do, time your conversation with a stopwatch?

Which can just as easily have a backup battery as a landline exchange.

Are your family retarded? Ever thought about those little necklaces you= can press the red button on?

Don't use candles then, we've invented torches.

Then why get upset about a few days of broadband missing?

But you said you prefer to use POTS than mobile. You can't use it for i= ncomong calls if you switch the ringer off.

Been there done that, it gets tedious after thousands of them.

-- =

"Boy, will I give YOU a haircut!" said Tom barbarously.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword