BT Broadband - Hows much should I be paying?

I suspect most online chat operators do deal with more than one customer at a time. It's a tediously slow means of communication waiting for one or other to type their response/question etc. Wouldn't be surprised to find them answering emails as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's way better than calls, at least you can understand what each other is saying. And from their point of view, the customer doesn't get annoyed if they can't think of the answer in 2 seconds.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Again WTF has my ISP got to do with POTS faults?

"a day or so" not fast enough for domestic harmony. BT Residential Standard care is minimum 3 working days before they even look. Throw in a bank holiday weekend and that can become a week before they look.

But no comensurate with the agro that the lack of internet 'causes.

No, don't shop in Asda.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Who else would be?

It's only 1 more than yours. And the "or so" only happens at weekends.

Which is why I don't use BT. They're ripping you off. Provide a shit service, then charge you more to do it properly.

But it's not required as they fix it in under 48 hours.

Then wherever you shop....

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword
[18 lines snipped]

And if it's an intermittent fault, the 3 day timer starts again each time you call them to tell them "it's come back".

Reply to
Huge

My POTS provider who isn't my ISP...

So we are back to 2 to 6 days. 2 days is too long.

'causes.

"under 48 hours" is inconsistent with what you have just said about weekends and what about bank/public holidays? Add another 24 hours delay...

A POTS fault here will be fixed by the end of the next day, any day of the year, including Christmas Day, New Years day etc. Show me another provider who can provide that service level and Caller ID for £21.09/month or less.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Most of the time... stock phrases are occasionally used slighly out of context.

From the providers PoV it's much better untilisation of staff. Voice call is strictly 1 to 1, online chat 1 to 3 or 4 maybe and they could deal with email as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, I went through that loop many moons ago. Crackerly line, having reported it twice and "no fault found" on the third occasion I made the report when the crackle was present and in response to "What's the problem? said "Hear that?" "oh yes" she said. The intermittent nature and the fact that the operator had heard the crackle where logged and 3 days later the engineer spent quite a while fixing it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not in my experience. Same fault still unfixed. They come out the same day for that, and by the third time I've acquired the engineer's phone number.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

But still perfectly understandable. The English may be poor, but they tend to make sense.

As a call centre worker I'd much prefer online chatting. Less pressure isn't it? And you don't have to understand weird accents on shitty headsets that are way too quiet. (I've worked for Sky)

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

What a strange idea. I thought all ISPs now sold you line/phone/broadba= nd together.

No 6 anywhere. It's 1 day or occasionally 2.

I said 1 day for during the week, and 2 days during weekends. That's up= to 48 hours.

I don't use a landphone. They're outdated shit that just gives you thou= sands of nuisance calls, despite being registered on the TPS, and are un= able to take text messages. I only use a mobile. =A35 a month for unli= mited texts and 4 hours of calls to anything.

-- =

Why doesn't DOS ever say "EXCELLENT command or filename"?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why on earth would one buy from a jack of all trades, master of none, when there are options to buy each service from companies who understand what they are selling (and supporting).

So the 1900 Friday evening fault is fixed by 1900 Sunday?

How long before a 1900 Friday before a bank/public holiday weekend fault is fixed, Wednesday latest?

about

Er no you didn't:

"Mine are sorted within a day or so without an extra premium. It's only 1 more than yours. And the "or so" only happens at weekends."

No specifc periods just a woolly "day or so".

Irrelevant. Show me another provider who can match that service level with Caller ID for £21.09.month or less.

Basic maybe but sounds clear, has no delay and will work under, even wide area, power outage situations.

Incorrect.

Modern shit that barely works, sounds awful, has irritating delay and may well stop working during a power outage.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Because they're all part of the same thing. I don't buy oranges from As= da and apples from Tesco either. And with internet and POTS, one needs = the other, so having them with seperate companies is asking for hassle w= hen they blame each other.

How many times do I have to explain what 2 days means?

If I say 1, then "or so", the "or so" means another 1. If I say 5, then "or so", the "or so" means up to another 5. Is English not your first language?

You're not giving enough information. You missed off your line speed fo= r a start, plus countless other variables.

Delay?!

Bollocks. They need no less power than a mobile.

And you can't use them anywhere. I can stick mine in my pocket and go o= ut with it.

Someone tried to text my landline once, it made a right arse of it. Som= e computerised voice tried to read it out. I had to phone them back to = ask what they were trying to tell me.

You've already said that. You have a poor memory aswell as a bad grasp = of English.

-- =

Peter is listening to "Ministry of Sound - The Sound of Dubstep 4"

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Hang on, clear?! One of the most annoying things about landlines is the= random volume you get. I phone Mr Smith and he's loud, I phone Mr Jone= s and he's quiet. Mobiles have the same volume for everyone. Could be = the antiquated BT lines, could be shitty handsets people use, but I've n= ever had a problem with my mobile's volume.

-- =

Peter is listening to "Ministry of Sound - The Sound of Dubstep 4"

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

clear != volume

Clear is the abscence of codec artifacts.

You can have normal volume and still not be able to make out what the other person is saying as the codec has mangled the speech so much.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Meh, your choice not to shop around for best value for money.

But they don't know about the others existance. I'm the one with the contract(s) and the one they answer to. Buying every thing from Cheapskate ISP Ltd leaves you at the mercy of their "customer services" and unable to do anything when the buck starts being passed.

weekends."

It's obviously not yours.

What has line speed got to do with POTS provison? That's all I'm asking about.

Yes, bloody awful delay, 50 ms or so (that's plu/minus some number between zero and 20) and if the echo cancelors aren't working properly an echo as well.

BT exchanges, even remote rural "large garden shed" ones have BFO batteries and standby generators. Very few cell sites have any backup power supply and those that do it's not much more than "orderly shutdown".

Exactly a text was sent to your land line and it was delivered. "Unable to take text messages" means that would not have been able to happen.

No I haven't:

"Basic maybe but sounds clear, has no delay and will work under, even wide area, power outage situations."

"Modern shit that barely works, sounds awful, has irritat "They're outdated shit that just gives you thousands of nuisance calls, despite being registered on the TPS,"

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Why are you arguing with a troll?

Reply to
Huge

Light relief after a hard days DIY. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Good point.

Reply to
Huge

Why don't you killfile me if I bore you so much?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword