BT Broadband - Hows much should I be paying?

Agreed. They have a UK call centre and a live internet chat thing. We'll see . . .

Reply to
RJH

"paid annually in advance" that ought to be Line Rental Saver and 10% off making the monthly rental a tad over £17/month.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Looks to me like being double billed for call packages but BT bills are horrible, with all manner of charges and deductions scattered about.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

2000 is what was on the selection on the sign-up page and on the confirmation. They have options for unlimited landline and mobile calls for £8!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yeah, I know they're very good - static address as standard. Was with them for ages, but at the time bandwidth became too pricey. Just staying with BT for the wifi hotspots at present as they price matched what I was looking at.

Reply to
Richard

Cheap ISPs don't throttle users, they just put more of them down a smaller capacity link. Throttling is selective, increasing contention is not. So they can claim not to throttle but still have PPP.

They do this because you can have as many users as they like down a pipe and BT still only charges by the size of the pipe they rent.

Long gone the days where every user shared the same big pipe whatever ISP they chose. ISPs get their own pipe and its up to them how big and how many. Its a significant cost.

Choosing the size is economics and managing the users expectations, if you have lots of users just surfing you don't need a big pipe, if like Sky you do TV over it you need significantly larger pipes.

Reply to
dennis

OK, thanks. They do guarantee a minimum speed at all times - 60Mbs. If it falls below that I can exit the contract without penalty. But: I have to give them 28 days to sort it. Which then gets into the customer service loop. We shall see!

Reply to
RJH

When we used Tiscali (not my choice) for outworkers, where the compnay was providing the broadband, they traffic shaped all kind of stuff and denied doing it. I had to get a very senior manager of {$MEGABANK} to talk to one of their directors to (i) get them to admit lying about it & (ii) stop it.

So I would never go to Tiscali.

Reply to
Huge

I see.

Reply to
Bod

I'd just threaten to leave and see what you are offered. It seems to work wityh Virgin. I don't know if these companies are still playing the up to under some reasonable usage cap, but in this day and age oll of this seems to be just con tricks, unless you really are out in the back of beyond. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not sure I'd want the hassle of changing my ISP every year. Except for a considerable saving.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. In every case here it was down to the equipment at the exchange or whatever. Phone still worked, but no broadband carrier showing on the router. Which I'd obviously changed too. But they insisted it was a problem my end before finally referring it on to BT for action. Which took days. And this happened several times.

One reason for going to BT is that they own everything at the exchange. But not had a problem where that theory needed proving anyway.

Other thing with TalkTalk is they sent me emails saying they couldn't contact me by email. Which I replied to and got an automated answer. And because of this would put me on paper billing at an extra charge. Which they did - but never received a paper bill from them. No point in trying to sort it out on the phone, given my experience of their call centres.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You have to be careful about free weekend calls. Only free for an hour on one call. You then get charged a lot for extra minutes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Exactly. But when you get a problem...you will have a problem.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I had only two problems, both with their supplied modem/routers. They immediately sent replacements within about 3 days. There was no quibbling at all.

Reply to
Bod

Since LLU ISPs have been able to install their own kit in exchanges, and some - mainly bigger ones - have done so.

IIRC at present FTTC/FTTP is not covered by that but is coming.

Reply to
Robin

I do it every year, there is no hassle now. None of that requesting a MAC code any more, the gaining provider does all the work. The only downside is the collection of old routers in the garage.

Currently with Sky which was half price line rental & free BB for a year and £50 bill credit, so £8ish quid a month after the £50 was used up. There were no calls so I splashed out £4 for evening & weekend calls.

In recent years I've gone Sky>Plusnet>EE>Sky.

Also up to 17Mb is actually up to 24Mb, but advertising rules state is has to say 17Mb due to the speed variations v line length. I actually get around 20Mb.

Reply to
Dan

Check the wording, they might guarantee a line speed but not actual throughput. Line speed is mainly affected by the distance between you and the CAB, throughput depends on what other users are doing.

Reply to
dennis

In article , Richard scribeth thus

Well just to correct that earlier statement.. we use Zen where i can't use VM which we do here, and its just the best of the lot 216 Meg down and around 12 odd up unlimited uncapped and just goes bloody fast:)

Prolly we're in one of the better areas it was originally Comcast here they did build the network rather well..

Reply to
tony sayer