BT Broadband - Hows much should I be paying?

En el artículo , alan_m escribió:

Whoops. :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , RJH escribió:

You're interpreting wrongly.

Your sustained download speed isn't the same as your line sync speed. It depends on the remote server, the bits of wet string in between, whether your ISP traffic shapes, and how many people are sharing the same DSLAM as the one you're connected to, amid a myriad other factors.

You won't.

For a reasonably good test of your broadband speed,

Restart your computer and browser before running it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

peole on unlimited calls packages

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , Steve Walker escribió:

+1. Money well spent.
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Hmm....... That test shows I'm getting 58Mbps down. Which is 4Mbps faster than I've ever got. All the other 5 testers that I compare it to agree that I only get 54. Seems rather generous.

Reply to
Bod

All they need to do is to give priority to their own speed test and its no longer a real world situation. A better check is to use a third party speed checker.

The other thing that may be a bit suspect is quoting a guaranteed speed (rather than an estimated speed) before you have signed up. The aim of the equipment in the exchange is to give you a reliable connection rather than the maximum speed connection and if you end up with a lot of line drops the sync speed may/will be automatically reduced. What the ISP may guarantee is a lower threshold limit based on the speed your line achieves after, say, 2 weeks of usage.

quote If you're new to TalkTalk, hold off on taking this test for a week or so. We start all new customers on a lower speed whilst we test your line, so you should see an improvement over the next few days. /quote

Reply to
alan_m

For me it reads 77.11/20.00 against line speeds reported by the router of 79.17/19.99, given that my ISP sets the IP profile to 96.7% of the line rate, it's maybe 1% high.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That includes the line rental?

Some still prefer a landline phone where possible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To a close relative or friend you may not see often due to living some way apart?

If you visit someone, how long do you stay chatting?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mike Tomlinson used his keyboard to write :

I often do, not much different to a face to face chat and a FtoF chat could last for much longer than that. Both retired and I often spend time on the phone helping a none tech freind with issues.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Exactly. My brother and I get on very well but we don't see each other very often. We don't phone each other that frequently, but when we do we can be on the phone for up to two hours.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Exactly like me. We live some 500 miles apart and catch up once a week on the phone. Which does last for over an hour - hence knowing the costs. We both get 'free' calls at the weekends, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[18 lines snipped]

We're about 500 metres from the exchange, and there's a rec/rest room there, so there are often 3 or 4 GraspingHand vans parked outside, I suspect he finished his lunch and then came down the lane.

Nonetheless, since we got enhanced fault fixing (whose name I cannot now recall), I believe at your suggestion, they've abided by the terms & conditions. About the only issue I had was ordering it, since they told me it wasn't available for domestic properties, but I already had a copy of the BT Conditions of Service, which shows that it is.

Reply to
Huge

Oh, my Mother can manage an hour without drawing breath.

Reply to
Huge

Were you using wifi or wired on your computer for the first test?

I find that wifi gives a reliably low overall speed, with short term peaks that "burst" above the end-result, whereas wired generally shows a speed throughout that test that rises asymptotically to the end-result.

In part this seems related to CPU overload in my router when handling VDSL and wifi traffic, which doesn't occur when handling VDSL and ethernet traffic..

Reply to
Andy Burns

Openreach is a big problem with any of the ISPs. When we had a fault meaning no broadband and crackly calls for more than 3 weeks. TalkTalk were a nightmare to deal with and Openreach just made it worse. They are supposed to make an appointment, but twice OR called my mobile and said they were in the area, could they come now - the first time I was just just walking into the doors of the hospital, accompanying my wife for an urgent MRI scan and the second I was many miles away and couldn't get back. In both cases, because I could not immediately grant access, they didn't contact me again for another 48 hours and they won't let you phone them. What makes it worse, is that I knew what the problem was and knew they didn't need to come into the house to fix it, because it has happened before, but never shows up on line checks. Each time they spend hours investigating, can't find any fault, but move us to another, unused pair in the multi-core anyway and the problem goes away for a few years.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I actually go a little further and run my own mailserver (routed through the ISP's), so I redirect that at the new ISP's servers and I don't have to re-configure any of the PCs, phone, tablets, etc. or copy any legacy emails over.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

My wires are underground (1979 built). The houses over the road (2004 b= uilt) have wires on poles, which I thought was a backwards step. Are th= ey more reliable?

-- =

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword