Strange BT broadband pricing

My latest BT bill shows broadband and line rental charged at £35.99 after many years of separate line rental and bband charges and various discount, all of which have now vanished.
They have been nagging me with free infinity activation for ages so out of interest I had a look at what their so-called offers are :-
cost type speed limit cloud 35.99 (now) adsl2+ ~20Mb (*) 15GB not sure
29.99 (42.99) adsl2+ ~20Mb none 200GB
34.99 (??) inf ~38Mb 30GB 10GB +£50 activation 36.99 (49.99) inf ~52Mb none 200GB 40.99 (56.49) inf ~76Mb none 1000GB
Figures in backets are presumably what will be charged in 18 months time after contract expiry.
In other words, I could double my monthly allowance, and get a small speed increase while paying £1 a month less than I pay now for Option 1 normal broadband. Odd for BT to give anything away !.
Does anyone know any hidden catches ?. I notice that there is no mention of an 18 month contract for their offer for Infinity 'Lite' as they call it, though they do charge a £50 activation fee.
(*) Although they claim 'up to 17 Mb' I actually get about 20Mb download where I live.
I don't use WifI, so all the claims about the performance of their Smart Hub are pointless.
On 22/11/2017 14:40, Andrew wrote:

Any particular reason for using BT (BT Sport or BT mobile as well perhaps)? Otherwise this is at least twice as expensive as it should be for a 20MBps deal, probably more.
I am with Plusnet (owned by BT) - customer service very good in the odd ocassion when I needed them (very little), based in the North of England (is BT's still in India?), £18/month for a line (that we never use), and unlimited 20MBps broadband.
On 22/11/2017 14:40, Andrew wrote:

I suggest you feed your postcode into uSwitch and see what Black Friday deals they have on there. It looks like if you insist on BT then
29.99 pcm 18 month contract will get you fibre 50Gbps with the optional sports package free for a while if you want it (extra setup charge).
Plusnet is considerably cheaper and works better IME.

Wifi is now perfectly reliable and secure. It was not always true.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 22/11/2017 14:51, Martin Brown wrote:

It was only last month that they announced a vulnerability in the WPA2 protocol that almost everybody uses, so definitely not perfectly secure.
It's not stopping me using it though - too many hand-held devices in this household and too much convenience when using the laptop. Although we do use a wired network for (almost) all the non-mobile stuff.
If I can find the enthusiasm to run another couple of cables in under the floors, only the mobile stuff will remain on wi-fi.
Hopefully patches for the router and devices will become available soon.
SteveW
On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 14:51:23 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

Must live in a cardboard house. Have a place with proper walls (14" to 18" random stone) and WiFi just doesn't get through them. To get reasonable coverage I need 3 (well placed) APs
Secure? Long standing bug has recently been uncovered, though to exploit it isn't that easy and you need to be within range of the target system.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 23/11/2017 00:08, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I have some walls 3' thick in places - there are some dead spots. My Wifi is upstairs and the wooden floors don't put up much resistance. My WiFi will reach about 300m in free air with the right high gain antenna at the other end.
Increasingly it is modern homes with foil backed wall insulation that present the most difficulties for WiFi coverage.
I recommend the WiFi dongles with detachable antenna and a high gain flat panel for difficult to reach garden sheds etc.

All things are relative. The risk isn't that great on WPA2 even with the new vulnerability. I won't be going back to WEP any time soon!
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 08:55:01 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

An alternative option (especially useful for kilometres long point to point links) is to use a wok antenna or two. Basically a USB WiFi adapter mounted at the focal point of a traditional Chinese wok which approximates the shape of a perfect parabolic reflector to a remarkable degree.
The main advantage of such an arrangement is total elimination of feeder cable losses suffered by a remotely connected external antenna. Using USB active hubs as regenerators, it's even possible to site the wok antenna up to 24 metres away from the host pc without incurring any of the microwave cabling losses associated with detachable antennas connected via a co-axial feeder cable of even the shortest possible length.
In the case of a remote garden shed a mere few hundred metres away, a single wok antenna at the house targeting said shed, should suffice quite nicely. Indeed, at sub kilometre distances, if you want to use an AP rather than tie up a whole PC or repurposed laptop to act as the host to a WiFi dongle, you can probably get away with mounting a separate antenna at the focal point of a cheap wok via no more than a metre or so of feeder without too much of the 12 to 18dB gain that a wok can provide being consumed by feeder cable loss.
Alternatively, at sub 300m ranges to the shed, the more modest gain of a cantenna would likely be more than sufficient for the job (neater and more compact than a wok antenna).
--
Johnny B Good

On 23/11/2017 21:24, Johnny B Good wrote:

I was going to make a cantenna (in the true spirit of DIY). I had all the bits and had even eaten up the Pringles but ran out of time and bought an off the shelf flat panel 18dB gain antenna instead.
USB Wifi dongle was chosen because it had the right chipset, detachable antenna and expendable since they were remaindered at £5 each. They have gone up a bit to £8 but appear still to be available (newer chipset) :
https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/11802/Dynamode-Wireless-N-Dongle-WiFi-Antenna-Dongle/
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Now there's a surprise. I didn't know Morgan were still in business. They used to have a shop in Upper Oxford Street more or less opposite a branch of Jessops. They also opened a branch ISTR in the middle of Brum and certainly had one on the ramp approach into Piccadilly Station in Manchester.
Used to have some good bargains. Was dealing with them even in CP/M days in the mid 80's!
--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com
On 24/11/2017 10:54, Woody wrote:

They are not except in name. ISTR they got taken over by IJT or ITJ but continue trading under the Morgan name sans shops on the high street.

I was a regular at the one in Manchester. I still have a working business duplex laser printer bought from there more than a decade ago.

They still have the odd bargain but a lot of tat too. I am surprised you managed to get off their postal mailing list, or have you moved house?
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Andrew wrote:

The catch is that it is BT.
Try a sensible supplier ...
--
Graham J

On 22/11/2017 15:13, Graham J wrote:

And lose my main email address that everyone knows ....
On 22/11/2017 16:12, Andrew wrote:

Cheap enough to get your own domain name which you can take with you if/when you change supplier. Tell 'everyone' to use it and run both in parallel until they've all got the message.

Very much +1.
I have a .net domain which costs me ?65 for 5 years with all e-mail forwarding included.
--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com
On 22/11/2017 19:23, Woody wrote:

Yes, I got a .me.uk domain some years ago, which costs me £12 every two years. I have changed ISP three times since then and all I have to do is change the redirection of mail to me and point my home system at the new ISP. No need to inform anyone of a change, because everything stays the same to them. Because I also have my own mailserver, all my emails (including the odd one from 12 years ago) remain too.
SteveW
On 22/11/2017 16:43, F wrote:

If you can get a supplier who will give you multiple email addresses/mail boxes [ eg snipped-for-privacy@mydomain.co.uk, snipped-for-privacy@mydomain.co.uk, myownname@.., mywifesname@..., etc] you can have separate folders for the last two and sweep all others into a catchall folder.
This has the added advantage that a spam email from 'Paypal' will stand out like a sore thumb if it supposedly comes from HSBC.
Also it is sometimes easier to identify emails from companies which use mailshot.
--

Flop
General Norman Schwarzkopf was asked if he thought there was room for

and if you get a domain name you can set forwarding based on wildcards - effectively an infitie number of email addresses.
then hand out a different email within the domain to every company "that needs your email address" and you can track back who sold it on / lost it / got hacked / gave it away.
Depressing sometimes to see the mismatch between the "trust us because we are..." and the reality.
I use www.123-reg.co.uk

--
Stephen

It never makes any sense to use the suppliers email for just that reason.
On 22/11/2017 16:12, Andrew wrote:

Start moving folks off it now, the next year you can move freely...
Dave
On 22/11/2017 16:12, Andrew wrote:

Registering and hosting co.uk domain that can be used to forward all your emails is £1/month (could be much less if you sign for a longer than one year deal). Using your figures I make it that you effectively pay around £18/month to keep your email address.