Strange BT broadband pricing

I'm with BT. I reckoned that when they installed our fibre they'd screw it up (they did) and by signing up with them I would have a one stop shop.

I'll jump at the end of the year. With any luck by then a few more ISPs (not just BT, Zen and A&A) will support FTTP.

BT have already annoyed me by putting the price up...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

An alternative option (especially useful for kilometres long point to point links) is to use a wok antenna or two. Basically a USB WiFi adapter mounted at the focal point of a traditional Chinese wok which approximates the shape of a perfect parabolic reflector to a remarkable degree.

The main advantage of such an arrangement is total elimination of feeder cable losses suffered by a remotely connected external antenna. Using USB active hubs as regenerators, it's even possible to site the wok antenna up to 24 metres away from the host pc without incurring any of the microwave cabling losses associated with detachable antennas connected via a co-axial feeder cable of even the shortest possible length.

In the case of a remote garden shed a mere few hundred metres away, a single wok antenna at the house targeting said shed, should suffice quite nicely. Indeed, at sub kilometre distances, if you want to use an AP rather than tie up a whole PC or repurposed laptop to act as the host to a WiFi dongle, you can probably get away with mounting a separate antenna at the focal point of a cheap wok via no more than a metre or so of feeder without too much of the 12 to 18dB gain that a wok can provide being consumed by feeder cable loss.

Alternatively, at sub 300m ranges to the shed, the more modest gain of a cantenna would likely be more than sufficient for the job (neater and more compact than a wok antenna).

Reply to
Johnny B Good

and if you get a domain name you can set forwarding based on wildcards

- effectively an infitie number of email addresses.

then hand out a different email within the domain to every company "that needs your email address" and you can track back who sold it on / lost it / got hacked / gave it away.

Depressing sometimes to see the mismatch between the "trust us because we are..." and the reality.

I use

Stephen

You have no more a direct contact to openreach when other parts of BT Group are your broadband supplier, than when with any other openreach reseller.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Arguably, you're better off with a supplier that will actually hassle OR. That supplier is probably not BT Retail.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I was going to make a cantenna (in the true spirit of DIY). I had all the bits and had even eaten up the Pringles but ran out of time and bought an off the shelf flat panel 18dB gain antenna instead.

USB Wifi dongle was chosen because it had the right chipset, detachable antenna and expendable since they were remaindered at £5 each. They have gone up a bit to £8 but appear still to be available (newer chipset) :

Martin Brown

type      speed     limit? ?        cloud

15GB         not sure
    none        200GB
  ~38Mb      30GB    ? ?    10GB +£50 activation

?     none          200GB

?     none

1000GB

That's a good reason for NOT using your ISP email service as your main one, that way you can switch whenever you like without worry about this sort of thing.

Reply to
whisky-dave

IME you have worse

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Now there's a surprise. I didn't know Morgan were still in business. They used to have a shop in Upper Oxford Street more or less opposite a branch of Jessops. They also opened a branch ISTR in the middle of Brum and certainly had one on the ramp approach into Piccadilly Station in Manchester.

Used to have some good bargains. Was dealing with them even in CP/M days in the mid 80's!

Reply to
Woody

They are not except in name. ISTR they got taken over by IJT or ITJ but continue trading under the Morgan name sans shops on the high street.

I was a regular at the one in Manchester. I still have a working business duplex laser printer bought from there more than a decade ago.

They still have the odd bargain but a lot of tat too. I am surprised you managed to get off their postal mailing list, or have you moved house?

Reply to
Martin Brown

In theory, that's true. But it's kind of awkward for one part of BT to try to blame a different part.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

openreach

Not that BT care, had a helluva battle porting the a base ISDN number from BT Business to a BT residential POTS line. They where totally in capable of talking to each other and arranging some form of synchronised event.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice