British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

Thanks for confirming you know nothing about BL. ;-)

'Labour' doesn't need protection. It does, however, require decent management. Like all the car firms currently in production in the UK seem to manage well enough. Using the same sort of workforce as BL did.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Still envious of my career choice then?

All that's needed is you actually understand a half of it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So, massively more than the £57 or £73 pw available then? £73 pw works out as less than £4K pa.

Even more?

Reply to
Mark

How is this a stop-gap, since it's not enough to live on? What if they get evicted from their home and become homeless because they can't afford their rent, for example? It would become even more difficult for them to get a job, without somewhere to live.

Reply to
Mark

I haven't seen that before. He's quite something.

Reply to
pamela

It wasn't the Mail

it was the Chancellor himself when he stood up and said it

tim

Reply to
tim...

Should be a national policy, not limited to London.

Reply to
Mark

You're making this up, surely?

Reply to
Mark

No I am not

the official projection of the pension (in today's money) that I will get in

7 years when I retire says

"well done" you have the maximum 35 years of contributions for which you will receive a pension of 120 pounds something

it will if when I get there it is 155.00 but all the evidence says that it wont be

tim

Reply to
tim...

So they get promoted to management, out of harms way ;-(

Reply to
Mark

Ideal for the winter months ......

Reply to
Mark

If these people are on such low incomes, maybe they can't afford to heat the water.

Few houses have large Belfast sinks nowadays. Imagine washing clothes in a modern 'tiny' sink?

Reply to
Mark

Nonsense - at least IME. I don't think many take industrial action for their own benefit. Especially nowadays where strike pay is the exception.

Reply to
RJH

FWIW when I was a student there were "Launderettes"[1] in the halls of residence. But this is not much use for non-students or people who do not live in University towns/cities.

[1] Well, a washing machine.
Reply to
Mark

I don't mean central heating. OK. I did exaggerate. The place which I am referring to had a small electric fire in the lounge (which was ineffective) and *no* other heating. It looked like it used to have fireplaces in some of the rooms but they were all blocked up. It was bloody cold in the winter. I think the other residents suffered more than me.

OK. I will explain it to you. They need a phone so that they can search for jobs. It's no good if a potential employer cannot contact you by phone. You need a washing machine since all the laundrettes have closed down. You need a fridge to stop your food going off and giving you food poisoning. You need a motor vehicle since public transport is virtually non-existent [1].

Food inflation is very high ATM (4%).

[1] In many areas.
Reply to
Mark

Maybe things have changed but you never used to get benefits whilst in education/training. I doubt this has changed for the better recently. And there are usually tuition fees to consider, and you may not be eligable for a loan.

Reply to
Mark

Maybe I've lost my rose-coloured spectacles.

Occasionally. When I do I am shocked by how little some jobs pay.

If only they were capable and able to do this. For example I have experience people who had reasonable qualifications but yet were utterly useless at the jobs they got.

So?

Reply to
Mark

Doesn't this happen already? It is a good aim.

I want a society like this too. But I don't want a society where the less fortunate are below the "poverty-line" lime some here are advocating.

Reply to
Mark

He didn't need to, which was something they knew, but had failed to take into account.

Reply to
JNugent

What he represemted was a major part of BL's problems.

Not the only one of their problems (as you correctly hint), but still a major contributor to the comapny's downfall.

Reply to
JNugent