British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

Hope you are jealous of all the other things that come with old age too, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If there are people abusing the benefit system, the law already covers this. Assuming Tory cuts to those who check up on such things haven't made that impossible, of course.

But I'd guess you want a society where the poorest are just left to fend for themselves. You're certainly not alone there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

More bollocks. I'm an OAP and don't get anything like 155 per week.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm curious as to how much you think you need to live 'comfortably'?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

SERPS does not affect the minimum pension amount of £155 but you can get more because of it.

If you have not yet retired and you have paid all your NI contributions (which with 35 years I think you have), you will get £155 plus the inflation rises. If you have SERPS too, then you might get your pension under the old scheme, but only if you would be due more than the £155.

Why do you think you will only get £120?

Reply to
Yellow

My rebate-only PP, started in July 1988 is now worth £58,500 and for a few years was in the default with-profits-fund but since 2002 new contribs are in the managed-balanced fund. Nothing paid in since 2008 after the job I was doing was outsourced to India, a fate that most baby-boomers in the public service don't have to worry about.

I can take the whole lot if I want (less some tax). For many people with an interest-only loan, that could be a lifeline.

If there had been the option to choose more 'risky' funds I could have doubled that £58,500 but HMG didn't allow that option.

My main SIPP on the other hand ......

Reply to
Andrew

Of course it did. Open fires.

So your example of a house with a fireplace in every room was rather pointless?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I contracted out of SERPS, my contributions went elsewhere

as such I will NOT get 155 pounds for 35 years contributions

Not if you chose to contract out

Because that's what they have told me I will get (because I contracted out)

tim

Reply to
tim...

How could anyone who was contracted-out for most of their working lives, and paying *substantially* less NI (you and your employer) think that they would get the full £155 new pension as well as keeping the benefits of their occupational or persoanl pension ?. This would be manifestly unfair on those who never contracted out.

I immediately started wondering where the catch was and eventually the facts came out.

Reply to
Andrew

Seems then you should be running the railways. You probably couldn't make a bigger mess of it than some of the current management.

You have a very short memory. He didn't replace the existing print workers like for like.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

surprisingly, the hourly Portsmouth to Brighton service is a "bus", not a "coach"

It takes so long to do the journey, don't forget your lunch and your sleeping bag :-)

tim

Reply to
tim...

BL went out of business because of Red Robbo, did they? Rather shows you know as much about the motor industry as anything else.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

actually it also covers the tram (for everybody)

tim

Reply to
tim...

Yellow is wrong, it's not £155

Unless the £4.55 is the "plus the inflation increases since it was introduced".

Reply to
Fredxxx

I have not brought up the topic of "people abusing the state" so I have no idea why you have here given we are discussing legitimate claimants.

I want a society where people who can work do because it gives them a better standard of living and because it leaves more money in the pot for people who can't, and what I do not want is people who are dependant on the state for political ends.

Is that really so unreasonable?

Reply to
Yellow

It wasn't substantially less

IIRC it was 2% (from 11%)

tim

Reply to
tim...

That will be because you are getting yours under the old scheme or if you are a recent claimant so are under the new scheme, it will be because you have not paid up your NI.

Do feel free to take an interest if you want to know more. :-)

Reply to
Yellow

You have to remember that the Mail headline figures for any state payments

- always the very maximum possible - are the only important ones to our right wing pals. What people may get in practice aren't even considered.

Until they come to have to live on them. Then the story changes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It depends on your circumstances - obviously.

For a single person who is set up, without rent or mortgage but paying all other bills including running a car and council tax, with no benefits or tax credits, £9,000. On top of that you need the allow for breakages and replacements so add another couple of thousand for that.

So £12,000 plus housing.

If you have kids, a partner, other mouths to feed, pets, a tumble drier on the go every day and holidays to Disneyland, then obviously you need more.

So - I have answered your question so please will you now answer mine.

Reply to
Yellow

Are you suggesting the train driver is bright enough to do the banker's job?

Not at all. My wage is subject to fluctuations in the market and in my career have changed the area in which I work. I see no reason why a train driver couldn't say, work as a taxi driver.

The housing mess is down to Bliar opening the floodgates to immigration and the subsequent fails to stem the tide or allow proportionate house building.

Remind us when was Thatcher in power?

Reply to
Fredxxx