Subject Author Posted Replies

Mains doorbell ringer in bathroom?
Is it permitted to have a plug-in mains doorbell ringer unit in the bathroom? This is the doorbell: I'm not sure the regs permit a 3 pin socket in the bathroom but maybe there is some sort of clever...
24
24

[OT] Simple arithmetic
Actually you both get the same answer except that Graeme rounded 'half of 4.14 ft' - which is, of course, 2.07ft - to 2.1ft.
60
60

Levelling a concrete floor
Hi All I have a concrete kitchen floor that is not level enough for my liking. I am about to lay ceramic tiles. It is basically a valley. The high points are along opposite walls, and the low point is...
22
22

builder wants me to supply all materials - cowboy?
A builder wants me to supply all materials for fixing my roof and replacing timber eaves with UPVC. I think what he means is that he sorts out supplying them but I supply them on paper. Could he be...
33
33

Acidic boiler condensate on plastic window ledge
Bungalow, eight year old boiler in the loft. Vent pipe directly over the bathroom window. The plastic window frames are going a bit yellow in places due to the acidic drops of condense. The frames are...
28
28

Boiler being a bellend
Vaillant ecomax 418 refuses to let any of its options be changed - and the system won't run on the default settings. When a value is adjusted you pres s i to back out, but it just doesn't react when a...
11
11

New toilet cistern not touching wall
Am currently installing a new bathroom suite. Removed the old toilet to tile behind it. Went to fit the new one, only to find the new tank is a lot smaller and doesn't touch the wall, leaving a 40mm...
10
10

Scandinova - do they exist?
Does anyone here know if Scandinova actually exists as a company? Searching for Scandinova produces zillions of hits for Scandinova kitchen equipment but no hits at all for an actual company behind...
5
5

CH pump removal
I need to replace it - but how to get it off? Stilsons won't fit in the lim ited space round one of the nuts, and won't grip adequately the wrong way r ound. Also the amount of force needed on the...
24
24

Vanguard subs (a bit OT)
Scroll down to the sub pics, it looks as though they have solar panels! I guess they are sensor arrays of some sort, perhaps it is experimental kit. Defence Committee chairman Julian Lewis says Sir...
14
14

The old jokes are the best ones
I am pretty sure we have seen it before, but well worth telling again. Optimistic father gives Black and Decker Workmate to 29-year-old son
8
8

Wall socket with integrated USB - Power drain when off.
I bought this double plug wall socket with two additional integrated USB sockets. . The on/off switches do not control the USB sockets. So I started wondering about the USB transformer eating current...
20
20

OT: 4k TV as PC monitor.
I recently 'fixed' my Dad's 40" TV and was testing it on my PC by using it instead of my two 24" LCD monitors (one vertical, one horizontal). It's a Panasonic TX-40CX680B TV. Bloody hell, at 3840 x...
38
38

Western Link HVDC interconnector makes landfall in Scotland
"A 385 km subsea power cable, billed as one of the world's largest, has come ashore in the UK this week" "The cable reached shore at Ardneil Bay in North Ayrshire, Scotland as part of the £1bn...
36
36

Opening Pandora's Junction Box
True, in fact as far as I can tell, there is little with which you can help. Having heard the many tales of electricians apprentices here, that is actually quite easy to believe. Prejudice, or just...
76
76