Subject Author Posted Replies

Thermostat modulation (and Megaflow / water hammer - follow-up)
Quick follow-up on my Megaflow/water-hammer issues (thanks to all who repli ed!) - I caught it yesterday morning at the critical moment, and heard it j ust start to hammer - followed by a small thunk...
1
1

Leaking electric kettle
My electric kettle leaks rather slowly. Enough so that a few teaspoons of water collect on the base overnight. Is there any way to seal round the element in the base? I can't see any leaks or...
16
16

Energy (gas especially) comparison table?
All I want is to see the cost/unit and daily cost for typical household bands of usage for a given region from various suppliers. I don't want to have to give my address, existing provider, email...
19
19

Self amalgating tape instead of heatshrink
Does it? The stuff around the connectors on satellite dishes seems to last many years.
33
33

Plumber!!!!
Stayed in a hotel recently - the shower hose connectors at both ends leaked badly. They were a mess of sealant and PTFE tape. I reported it to the reception. She said the "plumber" had recently fixed...
12
12

OT Should have gone to Specsavers
Woman is even stupid enough to say: "The idea that I would invent it - why would I? "I've said it happened now, having not said anything about it before, because I think we need to look at how we make...
37
37

Inkjet black ink.
In message , Chris Hogg writes I suppose there is no chance this is a printer setting issue? When you include paper type/quality, this adds up to about 10 options on my Epson inkjet.
14
14

3 way valve horror
It depends on which teeth have stripped. There is a small gear on the output of the motor assembly. If the teeth on that have stripped, a new motor will replace them. This small gear drives a larger...
10
10

LED PIR Floods
This floodlight comes with two fixing brackets the slim one shown in the picture for normal orientation and a longer one which will allow you to angle the flood light downwards. They seem to make it...
17
17

Downlighters with switchable colour temp
.. so, how do they work? Special bulbs? My daughter has them in her kitchen. Pop the bezel off and you can choose from cool white, daylight or warm white. Look like pretty standard GU10 downlighters....
2
2

The new apprentice
So he does not have a stupid haircut, does not wear his trousers hanging half way down his arse, can walk by lifting his feet off the ground and not shuffling, does not have an addiction to his mobile...
13
13

Pushfit waste
True, but provided the "olive" is engaged it should work. I had a similar problem once, fortunately with a pipe emerging from a rendered wall. I was able to chip away the rendering so that the "nut"...
4
4

"Fridge/freezer not designed to work if ambient temp<10oC"
It was covered by Watchdog 15 years ago at least. I imagine it still comes up at regular intervals (I long stopped watching TV.)
37
37

Pre-pay domestic energy smart meters suitable for holiday letting?
Hi friends, Having used this group for a number of years, I'm hopeful that someone will be able and kind enough to advise on this: For my house, I have external, old-style pre-payment gas & electric...
7
7

Photograph from locket
I'd love to know the circumstances of the photograph being taken. As far as we know, she was from a fairly poor mill-worker family, so how did they get the money to have a studio portrait made? Did...
32
32