Pushfit waste

I've got a kitchen waste outlet done in late-60s/early-70s pushfit which is finally disintegrating (done well, it's south facing) - does anyone know if it's likely to be compatible with modern pushfit stuff?

The pipe coming out of the wall seems solid still so I don't want to have to replumb it all if possible and this is just to save running about measuring stuff!

Reply to
Scott M

Probably not. Use compression fittings that fit everything.

Reply to
harry

+1, but the magic word is "universal". There are two nominal sizes of course, 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 inch, or whatever that is in millimetres.
Reply to
newshound

I'm not sure if there's quite enough pipe for a compression one, they always seem to have a long insertion depth. I must just remember to measure up before a trip to Wickes!

Reply to
Scott M

True, but provided the "olive" is engaged it should work. I had a similar problem once, fortunately with a pipe emerging from a rendered wall. I was able to chip away the rendering so that the "nut" was recessed into the wall, giving enough connection, and also making the job tidier. One disadvantage of "universal" fittings is that they are bulky and look more conspicuous when not hidden.

Reply to
newshound