Passing waste pipe through kitchen ?

Hi all,

we're *thinking* (nothing set in stone yet) of getting a dishwasher. Which is causing some headache as to location ... we have a long, relatively narrow kitchen, where the sink is against the external window. The waste passes through the wall to an external drain.

Ideally we'll like to put the dishwasher to the LHS of the kitchen, looking at the window. The problem is how to route the waste pipe (a) sensibly, and (b) aesthetically (ideally out of sight)

There's some ASCII art at the bottom of this post.

For some reason I can't explain, I don't think trying to pass the waste pipe under the floorboards is a good idea. Leaving as an alternative, having to pass them along the back wall, into the porch for a run then out of the porch to join up with the sink waste ... which really isn't going to please the Mrs.

Otherwise we'd have to go for plan B which is to site the dishwasher on the RHS, which would allow a run to be constructed behind the units out of sight. Accessing the water could be trickier, as I would have to run from the pipes feeding the sink, whereas on the LHS there's a cupboard where the old boiler used to be, and therefore has a cold water pipe available.

Anyone any suggestions/comments ?

Outside | |drain

--------------------------------------------- | ^ | PORCH | SINK --WWWW-- | | | | |

---------- | | | | | |111111111 22222222| | | | | | KITCHEN | | |

----------- Pwater pipes

1=preferred location 2=2nd preferred location W=waste pipe to drain
Reply to
Jethro

Presumably there are a run of kitchen base units from locations 1 and

2 to the sink, so just run an extra long drain hose behind them to the sink area and plumb it into the waste system there.
Reply to
Terry Fields

oops, the ASCII art came out s**te !

Location 1 is against the LHS wall of the kitchen, looking at the window. Location 2 is against the RHS wall. In between is the centre bit we walk along.

Reply to
Jethro

I have a dishwasher that is a 1000mm Unit away from the sink unit - and at

90 degrees. I have an extension filler hose and I used plastic drain pipe to tee into the sink waste before it goes through the wall. This plastic pipe is fitted into the back of the cupboard units - temp measure 15 years ago until I get around to re-fitting the kitchen.
Reply to
DerbyBoy

I'd go for location 2 myself: Not only will the plumbing be simpler, but it can be good to have the dishwasher closer to the sink for a number of reasons. If other things were equal (which they rarely are, of course) I would have the dishwasher slot directly adjacent to the base unit with the sink in: Easy plumbing (Tee-ing into the water and waste under the sink) and close for those things that need rinsing before dishwashing as well as those that come out wet for any reason and need a shake into the sink.

Reply to
GMM

Why do you say "under the floorboards is not a goood idea"? Would it be able to exit above the outswide drain whilst maintaining a fall of 2-3 inches over its run? If so, I'd do that provided getting under the floor was viable. And solvent weld the lot too. Virtually zero change of it going wrong if you can support it so sags (and thus traps for sediment) do not develop. You could joint it as much as you like if it wasn't possible to pass the full length under the floor as a single pipe.

Another thought: Do you have any gutter drains on the left wall nearby? And do they happen to go into the sewer rather than either a soakaway or a purpose surface water main drain? If so, you could hook into that. Depending on whether the downpipe enters an open gulley with trap or whether you'd need to add one with a U-trap nearby would determine who viable this was.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

This is sometimes useful:

Adam Funk

The waste pipe for our dishwasher and washing machine goes under the kitchen floor, but it's not very far, and comes out over the drain outside. This set-up came with the house, but it works fine.

Bizarrely, the water pipes under the counter provided two hot feeds and one cold, so I had to split the cold into two when we got a dishwasher later. I have no idea what hot-feed-only appliance some previous occupiers had.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Reply to
Andy Burns

when we first got a dishwasher (1960s) it was hot feed only as was our last but one washing machine. By using cold feed, the machine can accurately set the washing temperature; previously the water could possibly be too hot for comfort.

Reply to
charles

+1
Reply to
Newshound

Once helped a friend install a dishwasher on the opposite arm of a U-shaped kitchen from the sink. Just used 22mm copper behind the units. I *think* we put a general slope downwards on it and then upwards to the sink.

Worked well and don't recall it ever blocking etc.

Reply to
Scott M

Aha, thanks for clarifying that. I haven't personally come across a hot-feed dishwasher, or heard of one until now. (Our washer-dryer is hot- and cold-feed, but AIUI a lot of newer models are cold-feed only.)

Reply to
Adam Funk

Thanks for all the replies ... the kitchen is in the middle of the house, so the only external wall is the window end. No option of a soakaway.

Went out on Saturday, with Mrs Jethro, and I'd already done some research on dishwashers, which hinted a Hotpoint SDD910 was a good buy ... seemed to tick lots of boxes in comparison to others and was £275 (plus delivery online). So we tried Currys (absolute waste of time, but at least we could investigate sizes, pipe locations and build quality. Then we popped to Apollo2000, who had a bigger selection, and the Hotpoint910 for £250 (it was a "red hot" deal). As we were nosing, we had sales assistant approach us who knew her onions. Explained different features and options, one cost more than another, and tips on how to use. So it was out with the credit card and into the car ...

Revisiting the situation, it's a slimline 45cm model, which was begging to go into the "2" space on the RHS, since there was a 45cm cupboard there. So yesterday, I removed the cupboard (jigsawed the bottom and folded up to get it over the kick panel), then nicely cut kick panel, and slotted machine in. As luck would have it, the supplied inlet and outlet pipes were long enough to pass behind the oven, on the left, and come up behind the unit to the left of the oven - so I put the waste and water feed there - means we can access it by removing the cutlery drawers, rather than the oven. So just a short (150cm) run to the sink waste, which I replumbed to exit close to floor level. Our local B&Q was out of solvent weld ... but since I have never used it before, I felt more comfortable with the pushfit connections. I also used a flexible connector to go round the corner and into the split with the sink.

Having had experience of compression joints, I soldered up the inlet take- off, 3 90 degree bends, and a T into the cold water feed. Annoyingly B&Q had run out of straight washing machine valves, so I had to use an elbow one, although on reflection it looks a bit nicer, so lucky accident.

So, all plumbed in, we put the salt in, and gave it a run through ...

*almost* perfect. But given I have *never* had a plumbing job go right first time (water hates me), we didn't reassemble the kitchen immediately. And yes, right on cue, a drop of water from the standpipe trap. Seems the action of moving the waste pipe up to solder the cold water feed distorted the seal, so I had to remove the trap and refit the outlet pipe and seal. Second attempt everything was fine.

So after year of joking we finally have a dishwasher ...

Reply to
Jethro

Ovens have a habit of getting hot, maybe rather too hot for a plastic washer hose to stand, a lot of water can come out a small hole very quickly... Just a heads up.

Didn't do very well, got to admit I'm getting peed of with B&Q their stock control is starting to creak and they are changing makes/design of stuff almost on a whim. They use Floplast for rain water goods now not Marley, I have Marley, OK it's still balck 68 mm "compatible" but the design of brackets and clips are different.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. Although it passes further back than the actual gas pipe.

One of the hazards of buying from stores that sell the cheapest deal they can get ... on the plus side, I over-bought massively "just in case" and know I can happily return the unused stock NQA.

Reply to
Jethro

Definitely do. Washing dishes is tedious and grim, and the time you least want to do it is when you want to relax after a meal.

One of my best purchases ever, I would say.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

Well we have ! A Hotpoint SDD910 ... already noticed we're going to change our lifestyles, as there is no point in washing last nights glasses & cups first thing, nor washing up from lunch when you may as well fill it up after dinner ....

Reply to
Jethro

Well, yes, but. My mother's health problems made dishwashing difficult, so she had a dishwasher. Each week we'd visit and all the crockery was in the dishwasher unwashed, because it wasn't full yet. Hence why my brother has a small dishwasher, better to fill it, use it, and then do a second load after a big meal than be ever removing odd cups from it and washing up by hand.

Reply to
djc

Well this is a "10 place" allegedly. And we are a 2 adult + 1 teenager household (so equivalent to a rugby team :) ) looks like we'll be able to do a whole days worth, most days.

Reply to
Jethro